Community discussions

MikroTik App

2k3Mach
just joined
Topic Author

Question about bridging

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:21 am

I have starlink ISP currently at my current house and new pole building about 1/10 mile behind it. It's too far (plus across creek) to run a cable. I have multiple mikrotik products such as the mikrotik Metals (I believe I have 2 of these) and 2 RB2011U routers (I am currently not using any of this equipment for starlink. I am using the default starlink router with 1 aux port (secondary network connection). How is the best way to bridge this where at least I can use wifi calling and have some (even if slow) internet at my pole building? Do I need to use 3 devices or can I somehow get by with 2? Weather issues with any, etc.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Question about bridging

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:11 pm

What is starlink, what kind of ISP is it, what kind of service does it provide. you have to explain since its not an MT product, not our responsibility to look it up.
Further what is a pole building? A circular skinny building................ it means nothing to me.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:25 pm

About one problem with Elon Musk's Starlinik:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175272&p=871239

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:29 pm

That was a rabbit hole............. Avoid starlink seems to be what I got out of it. :-)

2k3Mach
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:39 am

Ok... I have an ISP that provided the modem with a port off of it for a secondary access point or whatever. I have a large building within eyesight. Can I bridge with the devices I have using just two mikrotik metals and share a secondary wifi access point off the far bridged device?

And starlink is awesome internet access for those of us in the country with no other choice. I've had speedtests of over 200 mb down, although avg is usually 50 down/10 up. 2nd best option is using a cellular mifi device which doesn't have anything available.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:48 am

Your explanation of the ISP device is inadequate.
IF its a modem you need a router after it to accept a public IP address and apply DHCP leases to subnets etc.

IF its a modem/router (dual purpose) unit then all it does is provide a private IP address to you and you can do want you want afterwards except port forward to your own servers.
I wouldnt trust the ISP router part to do anything useful and would create my own private subnets to ensure the ISP has no access to my setup.