Community discussions

MikroTik App

JoeAmick
just joined
Topic Author

Private to Private NAT

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:48 am

Hi All, Thanks for having me.

Kind of a noob here, but learning... I might have the terms wrong which is why nothing showed up in the search results on this site.

I would like to basically NAT an IP from a specific interface to a IP the rest of the router can see. After one is working I would like to replicate this on other ports (but same IP on the device plugging in) but different NATed ip. Also reachable by the rest of the router. I have seen this asked a few times on google and it seemed like the generic response is why would you want this. Let me give you my scenario:
(IPs have been replaced)
I have a existing network on 192.168.0.1. I have two devices I would like to test and communicate with. These units both are static IPs at 192.168.1.1 from the factory. To change these to unique IPs will mean code rewrite and custom FPGA images. If these units need to be replaced in the future, it will mean someone has to go through the same process. I would like to say just plug the unit into ETH5 and it should now be IP 192.168.0.2 (from the original network) or plug the unit into ETH4 and the unit should now be 192.168.0.3. No matter what the MAC is, as long as it has the same source IP and on that port. To further complicate I also have a small PC on the same bridge that will want access as well as WAN side inbound connectivity.

I am trying to work out the config on a hEX s RTR. I would appreciate and help you guys could provide. Or if I am using the wrong terminology drop a few hints.. eventually I will get a clue.

-Joe

JoeAmick
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Private to Private NAT

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 am

No Love at all... Is it just not possible ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:37 am

In mikrotik world almost everything is possible ... some things are just hard to achieve ;-)

I believe this topic discusses problem very similar to yours. And this one as well.

atuxnull
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:16 am

@JoeAmick. just to make sure i got it right, what you need. I miss a couple of things.
you have a router with a LAN eg 192.168.1.0/24 and an internet connection. The LAN is NATed to the Internet interface.
What is the one that you are looking? Do you have another LAN(eg 10.10.10.0/24) in a separate port of the switch and you would like both of the LANs to see each other?
Could you post a quick diagram over here, just to make it clear and then see the possible answer?

JoeAmick
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm

In mikrotik world almost everything is possible ... some things are just hard to achieve ;-)

I believe this topic discusses problem very similar to yours. And this one as well.
You are correct. These are almost equal... I have also added MikroTik to the GNS3 . So I can start playing with these configs without hitting the reset button 800 times when I get it wrong... Thank you for pointing me. I assumed i was using the wrong terminology.
@JoeAmick. just to make sure i got it right, what you need. I miss a couple of things.
you have a router with a LAN eg 192.168.1.0/24 and an internet connection. The LAN is NATed to the Internet interface.

What is the one that you are looking? Do you have another LAN(eg 10.10.10.0/24) in a separate port of the switch and you would like both of the LANs to see each other?
Could you post a quick diagram over here, just to make it clear and then see the possible answer?
I have one but have no place to put it (that might be another question later)

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:45 pm

I have a existing network on 192.168.0.1. I have two devices I would like to test and communicate with. These units both are static IPs at 192.168.1.1 from the factory. To change these to unique IPs will mean code rewrite and custom FPGA images.
Whoever designed a piece of equipment that is hard coded to some specific address (especially if it is expected that there will be more than one of them on a network) is an absolute idiot! That's crazy. Note, I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming whoever designed and built this piece of equipment. You are just being asked to deal with this lunacy.