Community discussions

MikroTik App

pwnet
just joined
Topic Author

Basic VLAN Questions

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:21 pm

Hello,

I'm setting up a number of VLANs on the CRS326-24G-2S. I've followed the manual/guide here:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... tches#VLAN

Everything appears to work as intended, but I have some general followup questions.
  • If I understand correctly, there is a difference between the way VLANS are set up under the CRS3xx (bridge) vs CRS1/2xx (switch). In the CRS3xx, you need to use the "bridge method" to enable hardware offloading, but for some reason, routerOS will still allow you to set it up the "wrong" way. I'm guessing there are people out there who have set up their VLAN's incorrectly and are not benefiting from hardware offloading and don't even realize it. My question is if there is a menu (in winBox) that shows if the traffic is being routed via the hardware chip vs being software routed to confirm it is set up correctly?
  • In winBox, all of my VLANs are listed in the "VLANs" table under the "Bridge" window. It will function this way, but in order to assign an address for the switch under a particular subnet, I appear to need to also set up the VLANS in the "VLAN" tab of the "interface" window, and then assign those VLAN interfaces to the bridge as well. Is this correct?
  • If I switch to using swOS and set up the VLANs there, will the VLANS set up under swOS take advantage of the hardware offloading? Is there any performance disadvantage to using swOS?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Basic VLAN Questions

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:14 pm

My question is if there is a menu (in winBox) that shows if the traffic is being routed via the hardware chip vs being software routed to confirm it is set up correctly?
Do you mean routed or switched? Hardware offloaded routing is experimentally supported in RouterOS 7.1-beta for some CRS3xx devices. In RouterOS 6 hardware offloaded switching is shown under Bridge > Ports by the H flag when active, routing traffic between different VLANs is always handled in software.

In winBox, all of my VLANs are listed in the "VLANs" table under the "Bridge" window. It will function this way, but in order to assign an address for the switch under a particular subnet, I appear to need to also set up the VLANS in the "VLAN" tab of the "interface" window, and then assign those VLAN interfaces to the bridge as well. Is this correct?
A bridge has multiple roles, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173692 for a good explanation. Interface VLANs just add a VLAN tag in one direction and remove it in the other - they should use the bridge (interface-like role) as the parent interface, do not add them as bridge ports.

If I switch to using swOS and set up the VLANs there, will the VLANS set up under swOS take advantage of the hardware offloading? Is there any performance disadvantage to using swOS?
I believe swOS always uses hardware switching. It only performs switching so you can't use any other RouterOS features, e.g. DHCP server, Management communications and configuration backup files are not encrypted.