Community discussions

MikroTik App

Greenscreener
just joined
Topic Author

How not to specify all tagged ports for each VLAN bridge?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 pm

Hello,
I am creating a network, which uses multiple VLANs and many ports in switches are "trunked" - should get tagged traffic from all VLANs.
Right now, I have a VLAN bridge for each of the VLANs with all the trunked ports specified as tagged. If I want to turn an access port into a trunked port (or vice versa), I have to go to each of the VLAN bridges and add/remove the port in question from the list of tagged ports. As you can imagine, this is quite annoying and causes some unnecessary error-proneness.

I would like to have something like an interface list with all the trunked ports and then add this list to all the VLAN bridges as a tagged port - this means that to add or remove a trunked port, I'd just have to add/remove it to/from the interface list, instead of doing so for each VLAN bridge.

Is this even possible or do I have to stick with specifying al the tagged ports for each VLAN bridge?

Thank you very much in advance.
GS

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How not to specify all tagged ports for each VLAN bridge?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:53 pm

I like my solution to that. I do all switching in CSS326 switches running SwitchOS where it is really easy. The routers do not do any switch functions at all - only routing.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How not to specify all tagged ports for each VLAN bridge?

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:20 pm

A network diagram would help.
In general one only needs one bridge on a router, no need to separate vlans by bridges, they are already separated by vlans.