Community discussions

MikroTik App

felodimul
just joined
Topic Author

Simple IPv6 Configuration

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:53 pm

I am trying to get IPv6 connectivity to the devices behind my Mikrotik router (running the latest long-term RouterOS).

It seems that my ISP provides only an "address" by DHCPv6, not a "prefix". Nothing happens (just "searching...") when I ask for a prefix in Winbox > IPv6 > DHCP Client. However, when I ask for an address, I get "bound".

What do I do next though? Is there a simple way to get IPv6 to the devices behind the router? (I assume it can be done with NAT but I'm looking to avoid this.)

I'm having trouble following tutorials because they all assume the ISP offers a prefix that can then be advertised out.

Like many, I don't really understand IPv6, so perhaps I'm missing something.

If I have to do NAT I'm just going to keep IPv6 switched off.

Any ideas?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Simple IPv6 Configuration  [SOLVED]

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:28 pm

If your Mikrotik is routing you need more than one /64 from the ISP: one for the Mikrotik WAN - ISP, one for the Mikrotik LAN - client devices, repeated for additional LANs. (It is possible to route via link-local addresses, but not recommended see https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-690 section 4.1).

It appears that many LTE/5G providers only issue a single /64 as they are expecting a single device to be connected (see section 4.2.4), but any cable / DSL / fibre / fixed wireless access provider should be providing a /60 as a bare minimum, ideally a /56 or /48.

There are standards, RFC6296 for stateless IPv6 prefix translation a.k.a. NPTv6 or NAT66, which address needs such as handling multiple IPv6 WAN connections but Mikrotik have not implemented it. It is not designed to masquerade multiple devices behind a router with stateful address and port translation as IPv4 NAT typically does.