Community discussions

MikroTik App

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

How to allow PPPoE devices to be able to connect to DHCP Server?

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:11 am

Hey guys. I seem to not be able to connect to our server when I'm connected through PPPoE and the server is on DHCP on another ethernet port.

The PPPoE server and the DHCP use the same bridge and IP Addresses.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to allow PPPoE devices to be able to connect to DHCP Server?

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:36 pm

If you have a subnet attached to an ethernet interface and PPP-based connections use some of the addresses from that subnet you need to enable proxy-arp on the ethernet interface (or parent bridge if you have multiple ethernet ports in a bridge). The local devices use ARP to discover the IP-to-MAC mapping for devices in the same subnet, this doesn't reach the PPP-based connections so the Mikrotik has to answer on their behalf.

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

Re: How to allow PPPoE devices to be able to connect to DHCP Server?

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Oh my gosh. I didn't get a notification someone replied.
If you have a subnet attached to an ethernet interface and PPP-based connections use some of the addresses from that subnet you need to enable proxy-arp on the ethernet interface (or parent bridge if you have multiple ethernet ports in a bridge). The local devices use ARP to discover the IP-to-MAC mapping for devices in the same subnet, this doesn't reach the PPP-based connections so the Mikrotik has to answer on their behalf.
Thank you! I will try this!