Community discussions

MikroTik App

Player419
just joined
Topic Author

MAC Based VLAN in hEX S for WiFI IoT Devices

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:49 am

Hi, I have a hEX S device at home with ether1 connected to ONT WAN Port with Static IP. ether2 is connected to a WiFi access point (Not Mikrotik brand) that is in bridge mode. the AP operates in both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels. ether3 to ether5 connected to a switch and some hard wired devices like PCs, TVs. on the 2.4Ghz channels there are some IoT devices like cameras and bells etc. connect today which gets the IP address from hEX S.
What I would ideally like to do is, create a MAC bases VLAN so all my TVs, Cameras, IoTs go in to VLAN1 and any new devices etc. that are not matching the MAC list should go to VLAN2. is this something achievable with hEX S? I see the device doesn't support vlan table which I am not sure is required to achieve this.
I have read thru this article and got some insights but hoping someone can help me with a similar .rsc file for the MAC VLAN or provide some guidance.
viewtopic.php?t=143620

thanks in advance,
RK

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MAC Based VLAN in hEX S for WiFI IoT Devices

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:12 am

Usually the Switch as "access port" will Tag the Traffic of your Wired Clients.
The Wireless AP will do the same for the Wireless-Clients

The HEX S configured as a Router won't be able to fulfill this task.

forsquirel
just joined

Re: MAC Based VLAN in hEX S for WiFI IoT Devices

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:28 am

IoTs go in to VLAN1 and any new devices etc. that are not matching the MAC list should go to VLAN2.
Create your vlans, ip pools, dhcp etc and then do ip reservation for each device. They'll get assigned to the vlan you specify. This is assuming your AP can also do vlans.