Topic Author

same sim card: different performance between mobile and SXT LTE6 kit

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am

Hello,

I've just bought a SXT LTE6 and inserted a PosteMobile sim card:
the online test show a speed of about 5 or 6 Mbps;

same sim card, same place, but in a normal mobile phote:
the speed is at around 30 Mbps.

How is it possible? Could be a RouterOS config problem?
I used only the Quick Set section, modifing only the APN.

Please help.
Thanks.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: same sim card: different performance between mobile and SXT LTE6 kit

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:28 pm

LTE works at differ frequency, know as Bands. Phone can use differ Bands then SXTR.
SXTR can aggregate 2 Bands, some of them as lte cat.6. Phone can have internal LTE module bigger lte cattegory and do more aggregation.

This is general answer at general question.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Another possibility: MNO throttles traffic depending on device's IMEI (MSB are device model specific). Not many (still) do it though.

And no, generally it is impossible to change IMEI (and generally it's forbidden to do it).

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Mobile phones have much better cellular modems inside. That is why you pay them
at least 2-300 $ more than a Mikrotik device. Even a mid end device has CAT16 and can do much
better carrier aggregation.

It is frustrating that Mikrotik has not yet offered more than CAT6 in any device, except the "Chateau".
CAT6 is the bare minimum you should use, and don't expect to achieve anywhere the theoretical throughputs.

For indoor usage the best is to connect an unused mobile phone to Mikrotik device via USB (like hap ac2).
This gives you best performance if you don't want to buy a Chateau or Audience LTE for example.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:53 am

My little opinion.

The Best:
we wait for m.2 platform with 2,5Gb port, proper mimo 4x4 antenna, option to buy without modem.

Best RB for LTE:
wAP R ac, LtAP (not mini) - buy them without a lte module give us to install with USB3.0 speed very good m.2 slot modem by proper adapter USB3.0 m.2 key B.
Chateau 5G - have m.2 slot and we can replace modem to other more prefered. We can still connect external antenna. Current modem is very good, know us "Global but not for USA".

Medium:
All M11G, M33G, SXTR, LHGR, LDFR, LtAP mini, wAPR. CPU without IPSec, USB2.0 bus, mPCIe - we fight with that unit by using 5G modules with them.

Worse decision
Audience LTE6, hAP ac³ LTE6, and Chateau LTE12 -- LTE SoC is soldered to PCB, cannot be changed.

P.S. I'm will be glad when mikrotik stop sell R11e-LTE6 - so people return MikroTik units by not proper working... I have that to many examples at Telegram.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:45 am

SiB has the Mikrotik-LTE "rosetta stone" above - totally right. For sure, it could be the account type/SIM/IMEI throttling it too...

But since the OP has an SXT with LTE6 and some SIM right now... one thing that's important here is the SXT is directional antenna. So I'd recommend starting by using the LTE interface RF info to "point" it – focus on RSRQ (or maybe CQI if the LTE6 does that) while moving it around, and/or lookup towers online to guide you.

While the SXT with LTE6 isn't the best choice, I'd bet it will beat an iPhone/HE-Andriod on upload with it's 9dB gain – depending on the LTE band/carrier support and carrier/SIM restrictions. Now download, you may have more trouble with the SXT-LTE6 since most modern smartphone do "carrier aggregation" or "CA", especially on download, which the LTE6 supports but AFAIK not well (since it lack some needed bands in a lot of places).

As SiB point out, on the SXT, max you'll see if 100Mb/s regardless of the modem since that the ethernet speed out of the device - so there that limit too.

Thus the suggestion to use a different modem and/or device – but I'd at least give the SXT-LTE6 a go by pointing it right.