Community discussions

MikroTik App

metaclay
just joined
Topic Author

Very slow internet speed when using CRS326

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi , i'm just a home user and bought a new CRS326 for my small office. Before i setting it up in the office , i want to make a trial setup at home.

My previous home setup ( Scheme A) :
modem --> wifi router A (1st floor) --->wifi router B (2nd floor) --> server
From My PC when connect via wire to router A (cat6), i can transfer file to server at 90-100 MBps ( using 1 Gig connection)
Also when my PC connected to either wifi A or B wirelessly , i can connect to internet at 80-90 Mbps ( using speedtest.net). So open like youtube will only take 1-2 seconds.

Now , i'm trying new setup ( Scheme B) :
modem ---> CRS326 on port1 ----> all other port are connected (wired) to all other devices ( wifi router B, server etc)
When setting up the CRS , i remove all config and setup a fresh one. I only did very basic setup , nothing fancy.
I only do :
- add non-admin user - disable admin
- add identity
- add wan ip using dhcp
- add lan ip 192.168.1.1
- add dns server
- add masquerade nat.

That's all, no advanced setting like bandwidth limit etc.

Everything is working - ping/internet etc works, but the problem is : the speed was dropped to 1/10th. The internet speed test now show only 6 Mbps. I normally open youtube under 1 -2 seconds, now it takes more than 1 minutes and only load half of the pages. Very slow response. But only for the internet (wan speed), the lan speed has no impact . When my pc is wired to CRS 326, i can copy to server at the same speed as previous - 90-100 MBps.

If i set everything back to scheme A, everything is back to normal.

What may cause this slowness ? I restarted the router , but no luck. I also suspect the cable , so i try replacing cables, still no luck. I'm loosing idea what else may cause problem ? Does anyone can help ? or any tips to track the source of the problem ?

loloski
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Very slow internet speed when using CRS326

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi,

CRS-326 is basically a switch with very limited router functionality

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi.
I just searched the MT website for a router called CRS326 and it was nowhere to be found.
As indicated it appears its a switch.

Therefore I am assuming you bought it as a switch such that
ISP modem----> current router ----> new Switch ---> to network

However if your ISP throughput is like 200 up 200 down it should still work okay as a router.

To ensure your config is not the problem, please post it.
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

metaclay
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 am

Hi,

CRS-326 is basically a switch with very limited router functionality
Thanks, Yes, correct . i 'm fully aware of it. I didn't throw (and i won't) a lot of routing jobs there. My plan is only 5 people will use it for editing and most of the time they will only use it for access to local server. The need to go to internet just for browsing only, otther than that it will be used just for local traffic. Server is only for local not accessible from outside.

In fact, I only tested 1 laptop/pc to the internet. So for single user browse internet , such severe speed drop doesn't make sense at all. Even my cheap and small t-plink switch doesn't give any speed problem at all when access internet.

metaclay
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:21 am

Hi.
I just searched the MT website for a router called CRS326 and it was nowhere to be found.
As indicated it appears its a switch.

Therefore I am assuming you bought it as a switch such that
ISP modem----> current router ----> new Switch ---> to network

However if your ISP throughput is like 200 up 200 down it should still work okay as a router.

To ensure your config is not the problem, please post it.
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish
Thanks i will post it later, meanwhile just for information, as in my previous reply : When i do the test, it's only single pc/laptop accessing the internet, no other loads.

In real application there will be no heavy routing task, I only want to use it mostly for internal network. CRS has limited router capability but i believe it's enough. Internet only for browsing , basic download/upload.

I didn't use : modem --> current router --> new switch because i plan to load balance using 2 ISP later , so connecting my CRS directly to ISP modems like these :
modem 1 (ISP1) --> port1
modem 2 (ISP2) --> port2