fatalrouter
just joined
Topic Author

Redundant WAN/ISP in IPv6?

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi,

I have two independent ISPs.
Both have a dual stack IPv4 and IPv6.

In IPv4 it is easy to setup failover, redundancy or even loadbalancing.
Just use the Miktrotik as nat router and it works like a charm, with lots of tutorials out there.

But for IPv6...
Because there is no such thing like nat in IPv6, i have no idea how it even might work to have the simplest case - an automatic failover - between two ISPs.
Any hint on how to do this or where to find helpful ressources to read about this?'
Closest tipp I found: Use Linux were NATv6 is availible and do it the old way in software routing. But this is not an option to use on mikrotik.

Any hint helps.
Thank you :)

fatalrouter
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Redundant WAN/ISP in IPv6?

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 pm

Anyone an Idea? Or at least can someone confirm that ipv6 nat is not possible with Mikrotik?

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:26 pm

RouterOS v7.1rc has masquerade support, so you can NAT your entire network to one (!) IPv6 address that is bound to the WAN interface.
Not sure about dual wan using recursive routing, but you could automate that using scripting.
Netmap which would be ideal (prefix translation), but it's not available in srcnat chain and not functional since I last tested it.

fatalrouter
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:29 pm

Thank you for pointing me to this firmware. Sounds like a first step in the right direction :). MikroTik get more and more Interesting.

Currently I switched to a Juniper router for IPv6 dual WAN, until this is fully supported by MikroTik.