Community discussions

MikroTik App

farshield
just joined
Topic Author

LtAP Wifi to LTE failover

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:04 am

Hello. I want to install an LtAP LTE6 device in a vehicle and connect to the internet by setting the internal Wifi interface in client mode.
There will be multiple Wifi networks configured, and if none are available, then the LtAP will failover to the LTE interface.

Basically, the vehicle will drive on a route and connect automatically to whatever Wifi network is in range (that has been added to the list).
If no Wifi is available, route all traffic through the LTE. If Wifi is available, route all traffic through Wifi. No load-balancing needed, just fail-over.

Before placing the order for this device I would like to ask if it's possible to do this? I've been reading up on Advanced Routing Failover (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=157048) and other scripting methods, but I'm not sure what will work?

Since the gateway details are not known at config-time, I'm a bit confused on how to use Advanced Routing Failover :-?

Thank you :)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LtAP Wifi to LTE failover

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm

Failover - you can do that.
LTE as end-option for failover - you can do that.
Few WIFI Client configuration - Probably you can do that too but I not give you support in wifi topic. I only use one Client as "mode=station pesudobridge" not few of that type.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 pm

Few WIFI Client configuration - Probably you can do that too but I not give you support in wifi topic. I only use one Client as "mode=station pesudobridge" not few of that type.
Connect List is your friend: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... onnectList
Setup al known SSIDs with their security profile, leave SSID blanc and security "default" when setting up Wifi channel.
Wifi will scan all SSIDS from connect list top to bottom and connect to the first one it can make connection with.

farshield
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:08 pm

@holvoetn thanks for the link, really helpful, I will try to use that once the device gets here.

@SiB. Glad to hear it's possible. In the meantime I ordered the device and I'm spending time scouring the forums for more documentation on failover where internal LTE modems are involved. So far I have gathered that you would need the following setup a route with a destination IP that can be pinged only from the wifi interface and then monitor that with a script. Am I on the right track here?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:17 pm

wlan0 intreface will have own dhcp-client with distance 2 and when it's connected then interface is running.
lte1 in APN Profile will have a Default Distance as 3

Wlan0 will be more prefered, if wlan0 is not connected then lte1 will be used.
Failover do the job, it can ping or arping gateway but a state of interface have mater too.

farshield
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:35 pm

So a small update from me: device is here and everything works well with connect list for the wifi. In case the wifi is not in range, it will use LTE because of the distance configuration. I assume that if wifi is there, but the actual gateway has no internet, then it won't work anymore, but this will rarely happen so I'll just leave it like this for now.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:16 pm

There might be a problem if you don;t want to use ethernet to connect to the LTAP. Or you will need an additional Wifi interface card (5Ghz).

The 2.4G Wifi interface is steadily looking for Wifi APs and will hop from one frequency to another and during that time no connection to the LTAP possible.
The LTAP itself will have LTE connection, but you are not able to connect to LTAP via Wifi.
So you need 2 Wifi interfaces, one as client connecting to the ext. AP and one for local client in your car to connect to the
LTAP...