Community discussions

MikroTik App

breakaway
just joined
Topic Author

Unable to factory reset RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:34 pm

I have a RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT that I'm trying to do a factory reset on, but have not been successful.

The WebGUI just won't load (https://192.168.88.1) and when SSHing in as admin, it asks for password. I can't get in via WinBox either (won't accept password).

According to WinBox, it is running version 6.35.2 (stable).

Admittedly, the instructions in the documentation for factory reset are not clear:

The reset button has the following functions:
Hold this button during boot time until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration (total 5 seconds).

So, which LED is it referring to? This device has a 8 LEDs - 2 for wi-fi, 5 for Ethernet; 1 for SFP ;1 for power. Which LED am I supposed to wait for?

I also googled this - found videos on youtube. All those videos have people resetting mikrotik devices with "ACT" and "USR" LEDs which this devicde does not have.

Anyway, I think I must be doing something right, because whenever I factory reset and try to SSH into it, my SSH client is complaining that the host key has changed, so some resetting is going on, but I must be making some mistake.

I also tried unplugging the power cable, holding down the "reset" button, then just waiting for over 2 mintues to try and get it to show up in the netinstall app as per instructions on this page

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Etherboot

However I was not successful with that either (device doesn't show up).

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Unable to factory reset RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:56 pm

On my hAPac it is the SFP LED that starts flashing at around 5-7 seconds after plugging power in. If you don't get a flashing SFP led after 5-7 seconds then you have a problem. You should return this device to your dealer if it is under warranty. If this is a 2nd hand unit then it is possible that it is running a custom script which disabled the reset button.

breakaway
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Unable to factory reset RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT  [SOLVED]

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:28 pm

Ok, I got it!

I configured my laptop with a static IP of 10.0.0.1/24

Opened the netinstall utilitiy (6.49.1 at the time of writing), downloaded latest firmware for my device (6.49) and clicked "net booting" and set its IP to 10.0.0.2

Plugged the eth1 port into my laptop directly

Pulled power from the device

Hold reset button, plugged in power. Didn't let go of it until the device showed up in the netinstall utility.

I then flashed the firmware to the device. I had to actually exit and re-open the netinstall utility once because pressing "install" did nothing, but after closing & reopening the app it was OK.

Finally, I still couldn't get DHCP by plugging in on port 2. But I could connect via WinBox. I went to system -> factory reset and did that. The device rebooted, and now all is well.

Thanks!