Community discussions

MikroTik App

killermantv
just joined
Topic Author

CAT6 mikrotiks

Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:17 am

Hello,

I have a question about speeds on mikrotik switches, as i saw on the product pages, only 10gb ports are the sfp+ ones, so my question is if there's a mikrotik switch that can do 10gb with cat 6 on regular rj45? And also i have rb4011 home as well so can he do the same or not?

Thanks for help.

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CAT6 mikrotiks

Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:46 am

Hello,

I have a question about speeds on mikrotik switches, as i saw on the product pages, only 10gb ports are the sfp+ ones, so my question is if there's a mikrotik switch that can do 10gb with cat 6 on regular rj45?

Did you even look?
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs312_4c_8xg_rm
.... And also i have rb4011 home as well so can he do the same or not?

Thanks for help.
What are you even asking here?

Look here for some help:
How to ask questions the smart way
Last edited by smyers119 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:28 pm

People want shit handed to them on a silver platter nowadays.

People have always wanted other people to do work for them. Since this is a constant of human behavior, we can zero it out of our replies as having zero useful import.

People also want professional, courteous interactions, but you've left that out of your rant. Why?

Did you even look?

The "switches" product page on Mikrotik's site currently lists 25 items, of which only one fits, and you're getting upset because the OP didn't find that 1:25 item, belittling him for missing the 4% solution? I'd say we should congratulate him if he did find it!

If you wished to be truly helpful, you'd educate him on the fact that "CAT6" is a cabling standard, not a networking interface standard, so searching for it on a networking equipment provider's web site is inside-out. It can work, but it's likely to miss useful items.

Unfortunately, what's also missing from that marketing page is "10GBASE-T", the actual networking interface standard it implements, which answers the OP's question, so once again, why are you getting upset at the OP for missing this?

Can we please stop being poisonous around here? I want Mikrotik equipment to be much more widely used, and that's less likely to happen when they come here and get spat on for making rookie mistakes. Of course they're rookies! Duh! Rather than run them off, let's help them fix that by making them feel powerful and informed, not weak and idiotic.

killermantv, this section of the docs should be helpful to you in the future when searching for product capabilities. Unlike with most vendors, the product names for Mikrotik devices aren't wholly made up by the marketing department. Often they actually make sense. :)
Last edited by tangent on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAT6 mikrotiks  [SOLVED]

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:49 pm

i have rb4011 home as well so can he do the same or not?

The RB4011 has only one 10G port, being the SFP+ one. There are 10GBASE-T SFP+ adapters you can get to make the conversion you want.

However, there are several things to beware of:

1. Copper Ethernet is less power-efficient than optical, so such an SFP+ module will get hotter than a fiber one will. Unless you're running straight into a 10G copper device on the other end, you should consider using optical for that link, putting something else in the middle to do the media conversion such as the CRS312-4C+8XG-RM mentioned, since it will be thermally-engineered to do such things.
  2. Some SFP+ modules work better than others. Brand new ones are more likely to work than random old stock you'll find laying about, but even modules that "work" may be missing features you'd wish you had later, such as temperature monitoring. Spend some time researching the module more deeply than Amazon ratings.
  3. As you can see on the block diagram Mikrotik publishes for their products, the 10G port on the RB4011 is connected straight to the CPU. A good rule of thumb for CPU-based switching is 1 GHz per gigabit. Since the RB4011 is a quad-core router, it means you might hit 5 Gbit/sec or so of aggregate bandwidth through that port, but for a single stream (i.e. most benchmarks) it's likely to appear no better than 1000BASE-T. What you want for 10G is a switch chip intervening, as seen on the CRS312's block diagram. You'll get much better performance putting something like that into the core of your network than using the RB4011 in that position. The RB4011's SFP+ port is fine as an uplink to your 10G core as the last leg before going out to the Internet, but it's a poor choice as the core of your home network if you're trying to get to 10G.

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:57 pm

The "switches" product page on Mikrotik's site currently lists 25 items, of which only one fits, and you're getting upset because the OP didn't find that 1:25 item, belittling him for missing the 4% solution? I'd say we should congratulate him if he did find it!
I am not congratulating anyone for doing something my 3rd grader can do. If you really think reading the descriptions of 25 devices to find what you are looking for is to much work for an adult then you need to re-evaluate yourself.

But as for the rest of what you said you are correct, Being a ass only pushes people away and doesn't help anyone. and I will be more then happy to edit my original post.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:08 pm

I am not congratulating anyone for doing something my 3rd grader can do.

I don't think it's unlikely that your third-grader may have picked up a lot of technical knowledge in passing. You can't expect the whole world that have that knowledge. One may hope that forums like this will spread some of that around.

If you really think reading the descriptions of 25 devices to find what you are looking for is to much work for an adult then you need to re-evaluate yourself.

I don't think it's unreasonable to wish to find a useful search term on the product index page; you shouldn't have to dig into every single page to find that info you want.

This single option is buried among 25 others, many of which also say "10G". Piles of human psychology research tells us that the brain will stop paying attention to a constant signal. (This "air conditioner" effect.) What you want is something that stands out. Adding "10GBASE-T" would solve that. Other likely terms are "10G copper", and even the OP's wished-for "CAT6", even though that's not strictly something the switch itself provides.

I will be more then happy to edit my original post.

Let's improve the future rather than edit the past. :)

smyers119
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:16 pm

I don't think it's unlikely that your third-grader may have picked up a lot of technical knowledge in passing. You can't expect the whole world that have that knowledge. One may hope that forums like this will spread some of that around.

This single option is buried among 25 others, many of which also say "10G". Piles of human psychology research tells us that the brain will stop paying attention to a constant signal. (This "air conditioner" effect.) What you want is something that stands out. Adding "10GBASE-T" would solve that. Other likely terms are "10G copper", and even the OP's wished-for "CAT6", even though that's not strictly something the switch itself provides.
I am not sure if you know what an analogy is, but yes my 3rd grader can look at 25 similiar things and pick out the correct one that he was looking for . Apparently you find that task difficult and I won't hold that against you, everyone's abilities are different. I guess it is partly my fault for holding people to such a high standard.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:53 pm

my 3rd grader can look at 25 similiar things and pick out the correct one that he was looking for

Fine. Tell your third-grader to find the 10GBASE-T product on the /switches page. Let me know how that goes.

Apparently you find that task difficult

I wasn't looking, but I could find it just fine. The reason I could find it, though, is that I've been doing networking for decades and have been learning Mikrotik stuff for months, so I can work out "when they say X, what they actually mean is Y" and go from there.

As for the rest of your post, I'll just reiterate my wish for this forum to be more professional and courteous.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Isn't it much faster If someone is so lazy to do own homework to ask "Uncle Google" for help https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=mikrotik ... rj45+ports
The very first answer tells everything.
People have always wanted other people to do work for them. Since this is a constant of human behavior, we can zero it out of our replies as having zero useful import.

People also want professional, courteous interactions, but you've left that out of your rant. Why?
Knowledge is something that you have to learn by hard. If someone is not able to find the proper product on a quite short list so what question you can expect as a next step?
If you are helpfull and always answer all easy questions without pointing out the lazines you will simply confirm such people that they do not need dig for knowledge and they tend to become bracket fungus asking over and over simple questions.

killermantv
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:38 pm

• @tangent thanks for the civilized answer, that's exactly what i was looking for, my bad i was tired yesterday and missed that switch.
  • @smyers119 @BartoszP if you can't answer a question without being an ass and solving your complexes, you better look in the mirror and i congratulate both of you for wasting time on arguing online, what a great activity moving this civilization forward, unfortunately i don't care.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:45 pm

... And also i have rb4011 home as well so can he do the same or not?
Sorry that you can feel bad but why you ask if RB4011 can do 10Gb with regular RJ45 as the only port capable of 10Gb is SFP+ cage? https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:49 pm

If you are helpfull and always answer all easy questions without pointing out the lazines you will simply confirm such people that they do not need dig for knowledge and they tend to become bracket fungus asking over and over simple questions.

I've been answering questions online since before most of the communications systems we think of as "online" even existed, so take it with that in mind when I tell you that there's a huge gap between spoon-feeding idiots and being helpful to newbies.

Note the OP's post count: 3, two of which were in this thread. Why are we making assumptions about his intelligence or lack thereof on such scant data? If he had a history of posting idiotic stuff, then we can start talking about waving around the clue-bat.

Furthermore, tomorrow's best advocates and helpers are likely to come from the pool of today's idiots. The way we get them there is by helping them to teach themselves. That's why I include so many links in my posts: it's an implicit hint, telling the person their answer is in the docs without being an ass about it.

killermantv
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:16 pm

... And also i have rb4011 home as well so can he do the same or not?
Sorry that you can feel bad but why you ask if RB4011 can do 10Gb with regular RJ45 as the only port capable of 10Gb is SFP+ cage? https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm
I was confused yesterday, don't worry

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Regardless of Cages........
Cat6 supports 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, and 10GBASE-T standards, frequencies up to 250 MHz, and it can handle up to 10 Gbps in conditions of throughput with the utmost cable length of 55 meters.

Cat6a is a 10 Gigabit Ethernet over Copper proposal to the Cat6 standard. Cat6a cable is designed to support frequencies of up to 500 MHz, twice that of Cat6, which can support up to 100 meters when transmitting 10Gbps.

What is Cat7? Cat7 cable supports transmission frequencies of up to 600 MHz. It supports 10GBASE-T Ethernet over the full 100 meters featuring improved crosstalk noise reduction.

The fastest Ethernet cable yet is Cat8, which can support data rate up to 40Gbps, four times of Cat6a cable. If you are looking for high-speed data center and server room cabling

+++++++++++++++

The other aspect is what is being connected. As noted you can find sfp to rj45 cages (transceivers) MT: S-RJ01 you can find sfp+ to rj45 cages MT: S+RJ10, and as noted they run very hot.
One can put small little copper pieces around the head of the connector to help in cooling, add fans etc........

Suggest that if you can run fiber cables tis better to run optical transceivers vice RJ45 ones.