Community discussions

MikroTik App

pauljr
just joined
Topic Author

backup and then restored on different hardware, now cannot a

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:22 am

Hello one of my techs backed up our router and tried to restore it on a brand new router which is different hardware. Now it is unaccessable, how do I recover from this? We cannot mac telnet to it either.

Also is their an automated way to do these exports and imports? Mikrotik if your listening can you make something so we have one command and it exports the whole router and then you can go and import that single file on the new router. That would make keeping a spare updated a whole lot easier. I may be missing the boat and it alraedy available but from my readings it don't quite work that way and you have to export individual items and import them seperatly.

Thanks for any help, we are in a bind!
Paul

GotNet

Re: backup and then restored on different hardware, now cannot a

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:49 am

That box have a serial port? Or put the drive in a different system (USB or IDE bus) and netinstall a new version. The license will be preserved.

The backup utility will really only work on the same system. Good if the HD dies or such.
/export can be used to clone systems; we have done several hundred this way. You will need to edit the file first before import since it will have things like MACs and the command order is wrong on some items.

pauljr
just joined
Topic Author

Re: backup and then restored on different hardware, now cannot a

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:08 am

It does have a serial port but I was unable to get it to respond on it. I did briefly try the netinstall but was unsure which ethernet port to use. It has two on the mother board and 4 on a pci card. I willl give that another shot on Monday.