Community discussions

MikroTik App

baddah
Topic Author

MIkrotik OS Raid Support

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:34 pm

HI,

Does Mikrotik OS support RAID.We are planning to build a server with Mikrotik OS and would like to have RAID 1 running.If it does support RAID,how will i go about configuring it?

Thanks

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MIkrotik OS Raid Support

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:31 pm

From what I understand, No.
NO SCSI for sure..

There is an option however....

There are SATA raid boxes (and modules) that provide RAID that the OS has no clue about.
Look at solutions built using the "Silicon Image" SATA raid chipset.

The idea is this... the raid occurs at the SATA IO level. The OS has no clue.
Array adapters may or may not work. I have tried a couple of simple mirroring SATA adapters,(PCI) but the OS "Sees thru them" and reports a primary and secondary drive.

Any adapter that requires a driver will probably NOT work as it is the same issue as SCSI and uses the same IO structure (you talk to a storage driver API, not the std IO API)

There are aray bridge adapters that convert from ESATA to SATA array. That is what you will probably want to look at (I am for a chasis of my own design)..

Since 3.X supports SATA / ESATA ,,, BING RAID... Note.. the array will have to be managed by a smart pannel of some sort (some ext arrays have them) as the OS has no way to know what is going on... IE if a drive fails Router OS has no clue also it doesnt know how to rebuild an array...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm.....

Craig

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:49 pm

indeed if you want a RAID system using RouterOS then you have to go with purely hardware solution, so RouterOS will it as a drive, and all the managemnet of RAID should be done by controller, not the os

baddah
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:46 pm

indeed if you want a RAID system using RouterOS then you have to go with purely hardware solution, so RouterOS will it as a drive, and all the managemnet of RAID should be done by controller, not the os
Ok,thats fine,provide Router OS sees the raid array and not two sepereate arrays,i know some old linux distributions saw two the two harddrives and you had to use software raid.Will only Router OS 3 see the raid array or 2.9 as well?

Thanks

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:00 pm

3.X only.
2.9.X does not support SATA at all..

REMEMBER: RAID MUST be done at the SATA level via a smart controller or similar.
RouterOS can't provide the RAID support and is clueless as to what raid is.

There are several eSATA soltions wirh an inteligant controller present that should do you well.

Craig

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 pm

OK, so you have RAID now.... but without the ability to monitor it? That's just f#$%ing nuts. What's the point? A drive fails, u have no clue about the failure... another fails... u'r done for? No Thanks!

1: Stick with regular backups. It's easy to automate them with practically no scripting knowledge.

2: Save the cash, get Router OS for i386 from a vendor that gives it to you on DOM or Flash. Then shove a hdd in there for a spot to cache stuff.

3: Check /store/. for more tools on how to set the drive up.

I have a huge client running 26 sites off of a single box with 1 drive and a recoveray plan that will see them running in no time should anything happen.

Now just find us a way to spend the money we save on beer and you and I are gonna be mates.
MTCNA

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 pm

There are plenty of hardware RAID solutions out there you can monitor outside of the operating system installed on the machine.

Of course you should be taking regular automated backups (that you have verified you can restore from) no matter what you're installed on as backups and RAID are completely different things.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:47 am

Many RAID systems (Smart SATA etc) can be monitered via serial port..

They also have status lights and displays and can be controlled by a control panel.
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"...

Craig

jackal
just joined

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 am

I am looking for an alternative .... running Mikrotik routeros on a pc..... It crashed the other day..... I nearly lost everything if it was not for a three month previous back-up..... It cost me nearly a full day rebuilding the machine....(With many an unhappy clients). How can I raid 2 PCs over a network.... is there a good solution.... Please let me know

is it possible.... Will NAS work? (MegaRAID)

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 am

How can I raid 2 PCs over a network.... is there a good solution.... Please let me know
RAID is always within one machine. There's no such thing as "RAID over a network". Maybe you mean first hop redundancy, and VRRP? There's wiki articles for that. VRRP enables two routers to back each other up by monitoring each other, and the backup router taking over for the master on the same MAC and IP address when the master router goes down.
You can't boot RouterOS from a NAS.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

jackal
just joined

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:59 pm

How can I raid 2 PCs over a network.... is there a good solution.... Please let me know
RAID is always within one machine. There's no such thing as "RAID over a network". Maybe you mean first hop redundancy, and VRRP? There's wiki articles for that. VRRP enables two routers to back each other up by monitoring each other, and the backup router taking over for the master on the same MAC and IP address when the master router goes down.
You can't boot RouterOS from a NAS.
Now this would probably be the solution.... VRRP.... could you guide me to and confirm it will work with Routeros? (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol....VRRP) and the 123 of setting up? At least I am getting somewhere now...

happydaddy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Will it backup Usermanager as well or just the system settings?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/VRRP

VRRP does NOT sync settings/configuration between routers. It is simply a first hop redundancy protocol that lets a backup and master router watch each other via hellos. If the master drops off the backup sends out a GARP for the gateway MAC/IP and one traffic flows through it.