Community discussions

MikroTik App

T3chDad
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac² RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC Dual Configuration...

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:11 am

I've got two of these units on the way and doing pre-config research. I'd like to use one unit as the router AND and access point. The second unit would be on another floor some distance away and function strictly as an access point for the same network/WiFi as on the "main" router. Is it a simple as setting up one unit to simply be an AP and the other as both AP and router?

Thank you for your time.
Bob

crosswind
just joined

Re: hAP ac² RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC Dual Configuration...  [SOLVED]

Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:44 am

Is it a simple as setting up one unit to simply be an AP and the other as both AP and router?
if you run an Ethernet cable between the two devices, then yes, that will work fine. as long as the wireless configuration matches (same SSID, WPA key, etc., although frequency can be different) then clients will roam between the two APs automatically.

there are other ways to do it, like using CAPsMAN to manage the access points instead of configuring both of them by hand, but for only two access points i don't think i'd bother with that.

T3chDad
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac² RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC Dual Configuration...

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:01 pm

if you run an Ethernet cable between the two devices, then yes, that will work fine. as long as the wireless configuration matches (same SSID, WPA key, etc., although frequency can be different) then clients will roam between the two APs automatically.

there are other ways to do it, like using CAPsMAN to manage the access points instead of configuring both of them by hand, but for only two access points i don't think i'd bother with that.
Thank you. That's the kind of clue I was looking for.