MikroTik App

Adam McLaughlin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Change Port Speed of Serial0 for use with UPS

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Hey Everyone,

How do I change the configuration of the Serial0 port for use with a UPS device?? I need to do some config change so the UPS will talk to the RB through this port....

When I try to change this, Winbox tells me that this is not possible.

Adam

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Change Port Speed of Serial0 for use with UPS

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:31 am

Serial connection to UPS from routerboards is a little tricky.
Here is what you need to do.

First you need to disable the serial console.

/system console print
Flags: X - disabled, U - used, F - free
# PORT TERM
0 F serial0
/system console disable 0

Now you can set the UPS to use serial0, you can only have a serial port doing 1 task, so that is why winbox complained.

Next there is a bios/boot loader setting you need to change.
In the boot loader configuration you need to change the 'boot key' setting
It defaults to 'any key' , change it to 'Delete key'

The boot key change is needed because the UPS will be sending information over the serial cable and it can interupt the boot process.

Due to the extra setup needed and that you no longer have the serial console to login when the network ports fail, I actually recommend you not use UPS on routerboards. If this is a x86/PC router and you have an extra Serial port, then go ahead and use it.

Adam McLaughlin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 am

Yah, what we ended up doing was to order the SNMPWEBCARD for the Triplite Smart UPS. Cost $288 Plus tax and shipping, but if it emails us when the UPS switched off of utility power, then I have some kind of advance warning that the battery life is now powering the A.P. and this is finite.

Seems to be much easier to work with anyway.

Adam

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:24 am

If you wanted it connected to the routerboard, you might be able to do some of the notification through scripting. On our APC Smart-UPS units we have been using SNMP/Web/HTML cards for atleast 5 years and have only been using Mikrotik for almost 2 years, so we haven't seen much need for the UPS package on our network. You can also get better SNMP access directly from the card for your monitoring system.

The only advantage to having it directly connected is so the router can safely shutdown. But It really needed with how RouterOS mounts the files system off of the flash memory.

The only other thing I need to figure out for UPS's, is how to get the batteries to last more than two years at towers in my climate that ranges between -5 and 100 F (-20 and 38 C) between winter and summer.

Adam McLaughlin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Yah, I think that we might just have to bite the bullet, and get the SNMPWEBCARDS for each of the TipppLite UPS units that we use out here.

I think our units are the SMART3000RM* or something. We have the adjunct battery backup units as well, these are additional cases full of 48 Volt batteries designed to help the UPS run at a longer time.

Ours will be living either in someone's house, OR.... In an Air Conditioned Server room down at our flagship station.

But... We still need to be notified when they switch over to battery power from the Utility.

Adam