Community discussions

MikroTik App

Abdisirat
just joined
Topic Author

CAP_AC

Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:03 pm

Hi,

Just bought a Mikrotik cAP AC RBcAPGi-5acD2nD and connected it to my router. The LAN on the router is on 192.168.0.1/24 network.
On the Mikrotik quick set, I chose Home AP Dual which unfortunately enables another DHCP Network 192.168.88.1/24.
I would like the AP to work like the Unifi AP without the DHCP Server. i.e. My Main Router to be the DHCP server only and when connected to the SSID on this cap ac, I should get an IP from the 192.168.0.1/24 range. I am unable to get it work.
Please someone advise if this is possible.
thanks

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAP_AC  [SOLVED]

Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm

It is possible, but with manual configuration. Mikrotik is ignoring our requests to implement "AP/switch" type of quickset profile. Perhaps you can do users coming behind you a favour and open support ticket with request for such option.

The steps are the following:
  1. forget about quickset from this point forward. Don't ever set anything in quickset, it'll screw your config
  2. download winbox, you'll need it in steps further down
  3. connect to device, reset configuration with no defaults
  4. after device reboots, start up winbox. When it discovers device, click on its MAC address to connect
  5. create new bridge, add all interfaces as bridge ports. Don't add port "all", instead add each of interfaces one by one (including wireless interfaces)
  6. configure DHCP client - bind it to bridge interface. Verify that device indeed received IP address from existing LAN router
  7. set administrator's password (if you weren't forced to do it in step #3 above)
  8. configure wireless interfaces - SSID, PSK, etc.

You can decide to exit winbox after completing step #7 and proceed via web browser, but steps between #3 and #6 (inclusive) can only be done using winbox because it can connect to ROS device without having a valid IP address.

Abdisirat
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CAP_AC

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:08 pm

Thank you mkx.

It is working perfectly and I have already received an IP from my Routers DHCP.

Sorry, I had to use the quickset because I had no idea where to start when configuring the Cap AC.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CAP_AC

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:56 pm

It's only normal for inexperienced user to use quickset, it is intended for such cases. The problem is that it doesn't include such a frequently used configuration profile.

The warning about never using quickset again still stands. Quickset is a very limited environment, if anything is set outside quickset and quickset is used again, it'll mess with whatever was set outside it. And your setup is entirely outside perimeter of quickset.