Community discussions

MikroTik App

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CAPsMAN Wave2 802.11r fast roaming info

Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:48 am

I have one hAP ax3 and 3 hAP ax2 (as simple access points) configured with a single SSID and the same security, at the moment everything works perfectly and all ~50 clients move smoothly between hAPs.
I am very satisfied with the wireless speed and stability.

I would like to activate, only for curiosity and for testing, fast roaming but I have a doubt...

Guide says:
Properties related to 802.11r fast BSS transition only apply to interfaces in AP mode. Wifiwave2 interfaces in station mode do not support 802.11r.
For a client device to successfully roam between 2 APs, the APs need to be managed by the same instance of RouterOS. For information on how to centrally manage multiple APs, see CAPsMAN
So I have to activate wave2 capsman on ax3 and cap for ax2?
hAP ax3 (CAPsMAN) + 3 hAP ax (CAP)
Obviously paying attention to this when I configure hAP ax3.

Is it enough to activate only FT and leave all the default values?
This way all the ap should have the same values.

Thanks
Last edited by massinia on Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wave2 802.11r fast roaming info

Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:57 am

AFAIK (I hope I'm already wrong) currently CAPsMAN v2 doesn't support FT yet. So FT only works when wifiwave2 device (e.g. Audience or hAP ax3) is configured in stand-alone AP mode and FT works then between interfaces of same device (i.e. between 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio). The way it has to be set is to enable FT on all interfaces and use same security profile when provisioning relevant interfaces. And I guess if (when) CAPsMAN v2 starts to support FT, it'll follow the same principle.

We can hope to see improvement in CAPsMAN v2 handling in next few ROS releases, it seems that MT is working hard on it.

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Wave2 802.11r fast roaming info

Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:54 am

I thank you for the answer...
I tried for hours to configure capsman wave2 without success, I don't use vlan and mine is a very simple configuration...
(I was wrong setting "capsman or local" 😅)

When I succeed I will let you know if FT works with capsman wave2, here for example a user uses it:
viewtopic.php?p=989169#p983369
Need to see if it works between different ap managed by capsman
So FT only works when wifiwave2 device (e.g. Audience or hAP ax3) is configured in stand-alone AP mode and FT works then between interfaces of same device (i.e. between 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio).
Yes I read this in the changelog of the first beta of 7.8 but then with 7.8 release it is no longer specified.

EDIT: I activated it (FT) and it seems to work very well between CAPs, I'll do some tests these days.

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: CAPsMAN Wave2 802.11r fast roaming info  [SOLVED]

Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:51 pm

Just to say that FT works perfectly with capsman and between caps, it's very stable and roaming is fast.
Good job!