Community discussions

MikroTik App

beginnersmind
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 as travel router

Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 pm

Hello from an absolute newbie.

I've just purchased a hAP ac2 router that I would like to use for my travels. I've already read/watched a bunch of tutorials, but would like to ask if you have experience with the following:

1. Is it possible to connect to a hotel wifi , and then route the traffic through it to my devices, as it would be if using an ethernet cable connecting to a WAN?
2. Is it possible to setup OpenVPN/Wireguard clients, is that something readily available on RouterOS.
3. Is it ok to use the web GUI for setup, instead of Winbox (I have no access to Windows/Mac).
4. Is it a good idea to flash Openwrt - I was reading about a lot of difficulties folks were having during this process.

Many thanks.

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAP ac2 as travel router

Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:52 pm

1. Is it possible to connect to a hotel wifi , and then route the traffic through it to my devices, as it would be if using an ethernet cable connecting to a WAN?
YES, I used to use it (and still sometimes) this way regularly for quite a while.

2. Is it possible to setup OpenVPN/Wireguard clients, is that something readily available on RouterOS.
YES

3. Is it ok to use the web GUI for setup, instead of Winbox (I have no access to Windows/Mac).
I don't like the web GUI, but if you have no way around...

4. Is it a good idea to flash Openwrt - I was reading about a lot of difficulties folks were having during this process.
What? Why?

mikear

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:25 pm

I don't like the web GUI, but if you have no way around...

I use winbox under linux/debian running it in Wine. Works perfect.

beginnersmind
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:32 pm

YES, I used to use it (and still sometimes) this way regularly for quite a while.
Thanks. And may I ask how? Did you find a guide for it, or it is simpler than I think?

broderick
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: hAP ac2 as travel router  [SOLVED]

Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:53 pm

Thanks. And may I ask how? Did you find a guide for it, or it is simpler than I think?
Simpler than you think, really.
You set the wireless interface (most likely WLAN1, the 2.4 Ghz one) in station mode, then scan for the wireless networks available.
Connect to the right SSID, and in security profile choose the security profile you've created with the password they've given you, apply, and ok and it should work.
You will have your WAN, as it would be if you had used an ethernet cable

etrigan63
just joined

Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:02 pm

I am trying to do this with a hAP ax2 and there are differences. The wifi interfaces are switched (which is trivial) but I cannot for the life of me find this "Connect" button you have mentioned. I am running RouterOS 7.11.2.

badwolf4561
just joined

Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:49 pm

I am trying to do this with a hAP ax2 and there are differences. The wifi interfaces are switched (which is trivial) but I cannot for the life of me find this "Connect" button you have mentioned. I am running RouterOS 7.11.2.
This has worked for me, as I too use an AX2 as a travel router:

https://nixfaq.org/2020/06/using-a-mikr ... twork.html