Community discussions

MikroTik App

iam8up
Topic Author

Incapable of backups

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:05 am

When I try to make a backup via Webbox I don't get any error. If I try it on the keyboard I get "Failed to save system configuration backup \ error - contact MikroTik support and send a supot file (2)".

I would proivde supot file but when I click the button I get "Couldn't peform action - supout file creation failed (6)".

I am also having a problem where I am rebooting and things are not coming back to the point where I left them just before the reboot. It is acting as if I can't write to the hard drive.

I am using RouterOS 2.9.48 x86. The hard drive is 70.3 MB of 19.2 GB used according to the bottom of the File window.

iam8up
Topic Author

Re: Incapable of backups

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:29 am

This may or may not be related, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

I am not able to perform torch or packet sniff tests. My user is on the "full" group of permissions, which has every single option enabled.

//update

More things I have noticed of which I'm sure are part of this problem!

When I browse to http://<lanip>:80 I do not see any images, they're all broken. I tried downloading the winbox.exe from this web server and all I get is a 0kb file named winbox.exe (0kb in windows means there is NO data to it).

I am currently plugged into a hub (yes, hub) of which the router is also plugged into. When I try accessing the Winbox from my PC in the house (which goes through two switches before getting to the hub) I get "could not get roteros.dll: damaged file!". I also get this error attempting to access the router from the Internet.

All of my PCs and both VoIP phones are functioning just fine. I can route and play on the Internet just fine, it just seems like a lot of the interface to my router is broken =(

//update2

Figured some more things out. More information will help, I'm sure!

On my laptop, which was connecting on the hub as mentioned above, works just fine behind the two switches. The desktop still does not. When I try with my desktop and connect with my laptop I see this in the logs:

failed to detect payment timeout: unable to open database file
failed to cleanup session acctSessionId: unable to open database file
failed to cleanup log acctSessionId: unable to open database file
failed to cleanup incomplete usres: unable to open database file

I also got a packet capture, before opening Winbox and an attempt to connect here: http://iam8up.com/bustedrouter/connfailed.pcap

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:25 pm

try to do /system check-installation

iam8up
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:23 pm

try to do /system check-installation
I did this and it quickly printed "done"

All is good there?

I now notice two more bits of information. First of which is I can not use the "New Terminal" window from within Winbox. Secondly, if I copy the %appdata%\Mikrotik\Winbox\2.9.48 files from my laptop onto my desktop, I can access the Winbox through the two switches just fine.

I'm so confused =(

iam8up
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:43 am

Maybe this has something to do with it?

[admin@pwnage] system license> /system license print

[admin@pwnage] system license>

Missing...everything? =/

The Winbox shows up with a blank everything but Level, which is 0.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:02 pm

check package versions of the router and try to reinstall router with netinstall (you can check check box to save current configuration)

iam8up
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:37 am

All of the packages are 2.9.48, same version that shows up on the CDP packets (the "main" one).

When I first had this problem, I booted off an install CD and did the install that way (while saving my config). I will do it again with the netinstall option and let everyone know!

Josh

jorj

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:28 pm

Do a /system check-disk, better.

If your configuration ain't that complicated, clean install it. Netinstall or cd-install.
Should fix your problem.

iam8up
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:44 am

Do a /system check-disk, better.

If your configuration ain't that complicated, clean install it. Netinstall or cd-install.
Should fix your problem.
I did a cd-install, the thing is still acting goofy.

I MAC telnet'ed and did a /system check-disk and it hangs when it tries to boot to the disk, and then tries to boot to the next device in order.

Sounds to me like some serious hardware issues, though the problem I have is that I've used this hard drive in three different towers. I have a different hard drive with MikroTik running just fine on one of the three towers so I know it isn't a compatibility problem.

Is it possible that the disk is bad enough to disagree with MikroTik but works well enough to install and boot with some functionality?

jorj

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:45 pm

Is it possible that the disk is bad enough to disagree with MikroTik but works well enough to install and boot with some functionality?
Yes, it is.
You might loose your licence, but you can do a format with checking bad sectors....... or check it with other tools, without actually modifying anything, to see if sectors are fine.

If I were you, I would change that storage.

iam8up
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:12 am

This is a home router. I'm not a fan of using x86 machines for routers unless it's a real big deal, which requires a duplicate (expensive, troublesome). Customer's use the beautiful RouterBoards!

I have the license information documented as well as on the website, I honestly don't care much if it is lost.

I'll do a dd read from it to see if it has any problems reading and then dd write to the disk and start anew.

iam8up
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:49 pm

dd got really pissed on the read test. Drive is definitely shot =(

iceman
just joined

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi!,

im relatively new to mikrotik. I got an x86 box pre configured from a friend running 3.22 OS. Have the password and wanted to system backup save name=mybackup
but get this
Saving system configuration
Failed to save system configuration backup
action timed out - try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)
went through the system check and has bad CRC on certain hot spot files

any advise how to backup the complete config?? would highly appreciate

rgds

hyp3R
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 pm

You can export entire configuration by typing /system export file=filename in the terminal. I guess it should work that way if it won't let you backup it normal way, by using Winbox.