Community discussions

MikroTik App

lweidig
just joined
Topic Author

Netinstall SLOW

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:50 pm

We are trying to upgrade some RB532a's with the Netinstall program. I am able to get the bootp working and the installation proceeding. The unit is directly connected to my laptop with Ethernet and serial. I am guessing that it is going to take about 30-45 minutes to upgrade the radio using this program.

We have some RB532a's in the field that we will need to upgrade this way due to the change of how licenses are setup now. However, I really do not want to take the system offline that long to upgrade the radios.

I was expecting with a direct connection this would be a nearly instantaneous experience. Any suggestions as to what I might try? Using the netinstall v3.0rc5 and upgrading to 2.9.48 for this device from 2.9.46. It is a 10/100 adapter on the laptop showing a 100 Mbps link.

Thanks!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Netinstall SLOW

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:52 am

It usually IS alsmost instant. This is certainly not right, if this happens on all your routers - check your laptop.

antefe
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:15 pm

download WINBOX, give your routerboard an ip, and then trough http do the update, its much easier i think.

lweidig
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Winbox will not allow you to upgrade the routers to change the way key licenses are handled, it can only be done using the NetInstall software. This is typically what we use otherwise and it is a very easy/fast process.

Tested Linksys USB adapter on same laptop and this worked much better. Stangely though the built in Realtek adapter has no problems hitting wire speeds transferring files to a file server? For now I guess we will use the Linksyst for Netinstalls.

Thanks!