Community discussions

MikroTik App

wireless12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

heavy letancy frm my coustomers.plz help me its urgnet..

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:43 am

I got a small wisp setup. I hav got a omni anntena, i hav connected this omni wid a Mikrotik RB532 which is configured as an Acess point and there are 29 coustomers. they all are connected to my omni through a low cost TP LINK Access point in station mode. i hav given ip address to wlan1 as 192.168.209.xx, and 192.168.109.xx to eth1 respectively. i hav aslo given ip adress to my coustomers access point in this series 192.168.147.15 to 192.168.147.44.(all 29 users). everything was going fine...but now there are very heavy latency (sometimes 2000 - 3000) frm few coustmers and there is "request time out" also..due to which the latency of other coustmers also increase..i belive that they got virus in there computers. bec when i delete theier mac address frm my access list..every thing go fine again...can any body tell me if is it possible through any scripting or any advance seetings in Mikrotik..that my MK RB532 repel all such virus back to thier own computers or keep the minium letancy even when such coustomer are still connected to my omni..and avoid disturbing the entire network....remember.. i m using a bandwidth contoller(Inventum) which is generating static local ip address which is filled in clinets computer's lan card..

Bandwidth controller -->omni(Mk RB532)--> coustomers( tp-link AP)--> client's Pc(static Ip)
thxxxx..

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: heavy letancy frm my coustomers.plz help me its urgnet..

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:32 am

If you use better CPE devices you can setup queues on the customer end which will eliminate the problem.

wireless12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 pm

If you use better CPE devices you can setup queues on the customer end which will eliminate the problem.
thxxxxx..
can u plz suggest me some names or model of better CPE..is is really not possible to repel all such traffic by mikrotik acces point which is connected to the omni...

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Well... what is your current configuration?

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:54 pm

You need to control the traffic from the customer before it uses your AP's bandwidth, not afterwards, so the control has to occur at the customer side. A MikroTik would be a good station machine that could also handle the traffic shaping.

wireless12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:19 pm

You need to control the traffic from the customer before it uses your AP's bandwidth, not afterwards, so the control has to occur at the customer side. A MikroTik would be a good station machine that could also handle the traffic shaping.
well thx mr unikyrn..but i cnat change the coustomers CPE.. i just need a solution on my tower only....could mikrotik can be treated as a hardware firewall....

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:25 pm

Yep, and I **need** a million dollars too

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm

well thx mr unikyrn..but i cnat change the coustomers CPE.. i just need a solution on my tower only....could mikrotik can be treated as a hardware firewall....
Then why are you asking for recommendations for a better CPE, since you can't use them?
Last edited by UniKyrn on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gimmepatiencequickly

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Then why are you asking for recommendations for a better CPE, since you use them?

And another thing UniKyrn, if you cannot access your clients CPE, why allow them to connect to your system?

I have full and total control over my CPE's that connect to my AP's as an added requirement.

As for CPE types, You could use Mikrotik CPE's seeing that your Ap is a mikrotik.

RB133c is an excellent choice IMO
Defer not till tomorrow to be wise, tomorrow's sun to thee may never
rise.
--- William Congreve

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:13 pm

Are you sure that there is a virus on the computers? or is that just a guess on why there is congestion and high latency? if not i beleive you are beginning to have to many users per AP, that is why many people use sectors, to allow more People to acces one accesspoint... If it is a virus, torch the conection and see what ports it is using to contact the internet or other peoples computers and use Ip>firewall> filter and block those ports... I would assume this would work but possibly block other unwanted things. And if it is a smart virus it will just find another set of ports to use... Good luck. -Jordan
~Agricultural WISP "ZONE"~ Beware of oncoming cattle and dont hit the farmer!!! I need to ask him about using his silo for an AP first"~

*Automated Billing Installer* http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/AutomatedBilling Built by Krige ;-)