Community discussions

MikroTik App

CarulloS
Topic Author

VoIP Queue / Prioritization Question

Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 am

I have a question... I've read the manual, read the wiki and searched the forum... I've done my homework but I have a brain fart when it comes to queues for some reason - most likely because I have never implemented them even once before. So the first time I beg your patience in holding my hand and telling me what needs to be done from start to finish. Please don't point me at more reading, been there done that for many hours on many different occasions. I don't want to guess and test to see what happens, I have a very specific scenario I would like a personalized and specific answer for.

Thank you very much in advance for providing me the complete answer I seek on this matter...

======I HAVE=======
I have a main MT router on x86 with 10 interfaces.
I have 3 voice servers, on IPs 1.1.1.1, 1.1.1.2, 1.1.1.3 (sample numbers, just use them in your answer)
I have added the three voice servers in an address list called voip servers.
I currently have no mangle rules and no queues of any type.
I have NO NAT of any type going on.

======I WANT=======
ALL traffic to and from the voip servers listed above to have priority over every other kind of traffic
(thats it)

This should be really simple and I have played and watched the numbers go but I have no way of actually telling it it is doing its job. Please be specific and thorough in your answer, I really appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Scott

maximan
Trainer
Trainer

Re: VoIP Queue / Prioritization Question

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:14 pm

CarulloS
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:45 am

So I have a couple of questions now that I read that and implemented this on my router as stated in the article. (I missed that one some how?)

Once I have the items in the queue tree, is it necessary to add anything else (like in simple queue etc) or just in the queue tree? Just set the priority on voip to 2 and thats it - it just handles al lthe stuff that is not voip as second class data because it has not been prioritized?

Is there a way to enter a rule that works across all interfaces so I don't need to add a rule for each ethernet interface? Like global-in, global-out and global total... what are those for?

Also, is it safe to assume that if my network is fast enough (router, connected switches, voip servers etc) and no packets are actually being queued up then really prioritizing a voip packet makes no difference? On the bottom of Queue dialog box in winbox it always says 0 B queued and 0 packets queued even though the interface counters in the queue tree increment every second.

Thanks
Scott

CarulloS
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 am

Also... I just went to main wiki page again to see how I missed the voip article listed above. I don't see it anywhere. How come? I want to know so I can perhaps find other articles I have overlooked on other topics...

Thanks

CarulloS
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:21 am

Also, if al that needs to happen is to set the priority of the packets why do I need queue trees any way, why can't I use simple queue and on the advanced tab choose the packet mark of voip (from mangle rules I have) and interface=all and parent-none and priority=2?

Will that achieve the same thing as setting every interface in the system to the same thing?

Scott

lahoras

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:11 am

Hello, I'm trying use wiki's example,
/ip firewall mangle
add chain=forward tos=xxx action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VOIP passthrough=no \
comment="voip tos xxx" disabled=no
Where in my case TOS is 184 (mark of linksys voip adapter sp2102), then add queue tree
/ queue tree
add name="ether1_voip" parent=ether1 packet-mark=VOIP limit-at=0 queue=default priority=2 
 max-limit=0 burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no

Then author explains it:

You can use winbox to observe packet count of the various items in queue tree when making a VOIP phone call. If the counters increase, your marks are getting the right traffic and prioritizing it. If the counters are not increasing, you are not prioritizing the proper data.

And regrettably dosen't work, does anybody help me?, y possible that this dosen't work on 2.9 Ros Version , so byte counters on winbox are increasing on mangle rule, but nothing it happens on queue tree, and neither an improvement is noticed in the communication of VOIP.

Based on the example and as adapter used is working on SIP protocol and I want to prioritize all VOIP traffic on my network is that I applies these rules in MANGLE to mark VOIP trafic, based on mark packets of ports used by my harware.

chain=postrouting protocol=udp src-port=5060 action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=voip 
passthrough=no 
chain=postrouting protocol=udp src-port=16384-18000 action=mark-packet 
new-packet-mark=voip  passthrough=no 
]
With this rules is working, but I don't know if is correct and I would like work as is in example,
and I think that doing this may be other aplication will be prioritize.

Thanks in advance,

ARIEL

lahoras

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:17 am

Nobody can tell me anything about this?, can you help me.

greeting
ARIEL

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:13 pm

I have the same problem as CarulloS I have the queue tree set for but the counters do not increase, I have no other queues set up. The counters on the packet mark do increase. Also I why do not I just use simple queues?

AND THE REAL QUESTION, WHY DOES THE WIKI NOT HAVE A THREAD IN THIS FORUM LINKED TO EVERY POST

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 am

From another post http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... voip+queue
I did
/ip firewall mangle
add chain=forward action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=NONVOIPpack passthrough=no connection-mark=VOIP
add chain=forward action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VOIPpack passthrough=no connection-mark=NONVOIP
add chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VOIP passthrough=no src-address=192.168.10.253
add chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=NONVOIP passthrough=no

/queue tree
add name="InternetOut" parent=ether1 packet-mark="" limit-at=0 queue=default priority=8 max-limit=740000 burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s
add name="VOIP" parent=InternetOut packet-mark=VOIPpack limit-at=500000 queue=default priority=1 max-limit=740000 burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s
add name="NONVOIP" parent=InternetOut packet-mark=NONVOIPpack limit-at=0 queue=default priority=8 max-limit=256000 burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 
For a DSL line with 768k up 6m down and a trixbox on 192.168.10.253 that has voip phones on the lan and voip trunks to a carrier... Any suggestions

SeanCan
just joined

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm

We haven't been able to set the queue the way we want either.
Last edited by SeanCan on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:37 pm

im learning myself. but one thing I learned is that no matter what, you need to be marking ALL traffic leaving that interface, and including it in the queue. Otherwise you are ONLY queueing that traffic, and things that are unmarked are leaving as they please (in front of everything else probably!).

IMO that Wiki article is horrible, it does not give a correct implementation AT ALL. Hopefully I am not offending the author : )