Community discussions

MikroTik App

sarpkaya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

how can I do QoS thing?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:06 am

Hi, I want to config QoS to my hotspot. But I don't know how to do it please help me thanks.

pastranini
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: how can I do QoS thing?

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:20 am

You can start to build a QoS' structure by making mangle rules, after that make queue trees or simple queues, perhaps you can improve your knowlegde about the behavior of the MT
regards

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:55 am

for Hotspot it's easier - in Hotspot profiles you can set speed limits for users. Make different profiles for different user groups

ahmedsaffar76

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:31 pm

for Hotspot it's easier - in Hotspot profiles you can set speed limits for users. Make different profiles for different user groups
Hi Normis ;
Glad to write to you .
speed limit is easy by configuring profiles in the Hotspot or the PPPoe servers , but the problem when you use this method it will occur in the simple queue as dynamic .
and if you need to change the speed for one of the users you will have to change the speed in the profile and then you should disconnect him , because while he is on line he will follow the old speed and the changes you do to the speed will be implemented when he log next time .
what i am doing in the pppoe is to make a pool for each user , put this pool in a profile and supply this profile to a single user .
so i have a pool and profile per user , then i go to simple queue add a new queue with the ip for a speceific user and control the speed there .
if i see that a user is doing like download for long time and there is no resources for other users i simply reduce the download level for him and instantly he will be implementing the new speed .
i did'nt try this with hotspot ,because i don't like it like pppoe .
with best regards .

aldalil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:21 am

Hi ahmedsaffar76,

You can play bursting rules with pppoe, check the following link:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Hotspot%2 ... priorities

Same scenario is working fine with pppoe

Regards,
Alaa

ahmedsaffar76

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:43 am

Hi Alaa ;
Thanks for the link above and i have some comments on it .
assum you need to change the tx/rx limit for a profile , then you will go to profile and change it to the desired rate and then you have to kick off the users from the hotspot and when they re-enter the serivce again they will be under the new rate , they will not use it instantly .
but if you use the queue directly to control the traffic when you change the tx/rx rates and click on OK , they instantly will be under the new rates .
i did'nt test this with the hotspot as i do not like it . :?
where is your location ?
thanks again for your reply .
with best regards .

aldalil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:52 am

Hi Ahmed,

settings are applied on the fly, so, you just need to set your profile's rates limits (max, min, allowed threshold time and priorities..).

Any user belongs to a specific profile, will be affected DYNAMICALLY by the pre-defined rates limits as mentioned in the wiki article.

If you need to know any other point let me know.

I'm from Lebanon.

Regards,
Alaa

ahmedsaffar76

Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:22 am

Any user belongs to a specific profile, will be affected DYNAMICALLY by the pre-defined rates limits as mentioned in the wiki article.
I'm from Lebanon.
Hi Alaa ;
glad to write again .
will put the question in another way .
assum you need to upgrade a specific user from package to another as in the Wiki example from Bronze to Gold , you are going to change the profile for that user .
will the rates for him will be changed instantly or after he logoff and logon again ?
also i do not see the min rate appear in the queue photos , How to get it's value ?
salam to sit eldeni Beriut .
with best regards .

aldalil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:42 am

Dear Ahmed,

As per the wiki's example, x6k/y6k is the minimum speed/rate, it appears in Advance Queue as "Limit At".

Changing the users profile, package needs to disconnect and reconnect the user. And that is why bursting does not need to do that manually.

Other way, you have to write some scripts that control the users limits dynamically as per your need ! Not practical method when you have BIG LIST of queued users

Regards,
Alaa

ahmedsaffar76

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:07 am

Dear Ahmed,
As per the wiki's example, x6k/y6k is the minimum speed/rate, it appears in Advance Queue as "Limit At".
Changing the users profile, package needs to disconnect and reconnect the user. And that is why bursting does not need to do that manually.
Other way, you have to write some scripts that control the users limits dynamically as per your need ! Not practical method when you have BIG LIST of queued users
Regards,
Alaa
Hi Again ;
forget to get your attention to what is wrote in the wiki , here it is :
Also, you can use the same method if you want to make sure that heavy users should not keep downloading or uploading files for long period in order to save the rest of available traffic for light users who are looking for good speed for browsing or occasionally access.
in the brust you will not prevent users doing heavy download for long time , it is the opposite .
you will increase the bandwidth for him for specific time and then come back again to his limit and he could do download for very long time , so you are not going to save the rest of avilable band to light users .
with queue , when you see a users doing download for long time you could reduce his speed further more and it will be done instantly .
also i read in the wiki or the forum there is a scripit reading the uploaded and downloaded bytes from the queue and if the user exceed the limit will be reduced to other speed .
the problem of this script is , if the user logoff and logon again the queue will erase his info because it dynamic .
here again you see the static queue is better than other .
it is true you will have long list you should keep monitor it with the graphing but all this for the sake of the users .
with best regards .

aldalil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 am

Hi Ahmed,

I'm the one who wrote that wiki article, so I know what is exactly written there and how to use it :)

You have to think in different way, suggest the burst rate is the maximum allowed speed while the rate limit is the minimum (no CIR - or real dedicated, minimum rate assigned here if you are going to provide shared service for residential users for example.)

So, CBR is the maximum rate (Burst Rate)
CIR is Zero or equal to rate limit (As per your service type !)

In other words, you have to use Burst as Max speed, when a user download/upload at threshold rate, and continuously for Threshold time. Rate will be dynamically downgraded to Rate Limit ..and I believe this is exactly what you are looking for. Then, speed will be released to normal with other, new sessions to the Burst/Maximum speed and the same scenario applied for other new sessions!

Regards,
Alaa

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Quick thought: Would it be possible to consider including a basic QoS tree with as part of the hotspot setup?

Sure as noted above you can assign each user a bandwidth limit, but why not take this one step further and add simple voip/video/http/mail tagging as preferred services (similar to how the hotspot setup creates the dhcp server and dns setup.

Just figured considering this is a hotspot system then a preconfigured QoS setup should really be mandatory for each site.