Community discussions

MikroTik App

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Silly RouterOS download question

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 am

When you go to the Mikrotik software download page you seem to be asked to select a particular router series for the download. Does this actually matter?

ie. whether you select RB100 series or RB500 series you seem to get the same files, so as I have both RB100s and RB500s it's easier to just download one update, ftp it to a router and auto-update all the routers from it.

However this clearly wouldn't be a good idea if a different set of packages is needed, although how do you tell the difference?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Silly RouterOS download question

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 am

many boards need different packages.

RB100 and RB500 has the same

RB400 has different ones

RB600 and RB1000 are the same, but are different from others.

RB200 also.

To not confuse people, we don't make them learn processor revisions - just choose the product name.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:28 am

To not confuse people, we don't make them learn processor revisions - just choose the product name.
Thanks for that.

So when I add a RB600 to the network and download the update for the RB600 there will be a way of distinguishing it from the updates for the RB100/500?

Ps, love the "To not confuse people". Mikrotik hardware is brilliant and the software pretty good, but confusing people with the documentation (or lack of it) is a Mikrotik speciality!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:40 pm

look at the package names. they correspond to the CPU type.

what can be more simple than choosing your router name from a list?

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:46 pm

look at the package names. they correspond to the CPU type.
Normis I've just downloaded "all_packages-ns-2.9.51.zip". Unzipped it contains packages like "ntp-2.9.51-ns.npk"

What in that tells me if it's for an RB100 or an RB600?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 pm

RB600 and 1000 doesn't even support 2.9. You are supposed to download current version, not the old one. Use v3

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm

RB600 and 1000 doesn't even support 2.9. You are supposed to download current version, not the old one. Use v3
Normis, YOU might know that for some arcane reason 'ns' is the code for the processor in the 100/500 series for v2, and 'mipsl' is the code for v3, and 'ccp' appears to be some sort of code for the processor in the 600 series, but YOU live and breath these things, you probably have pictures of these things on the walls of your home surrounded by candles. You've forgotten more about these wretched things than us lesser mortals could possibly want to know.

But in the absence of any condescending little notes in the Mikrotik manuals, or simple little explanations for the denser specimen's amongst your customers on the web-page, how did you expect me to know?

And by the way I've just loaded v3 onto a 133C and it didn't like it one little bit.

And also by the way, is there any possibility that you might get some documentation out for v3 BEFORE the releases of v4 get into double figures?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:33 pm

be reasonable - you go to download page and choose your router type you want to upgrade, download files and you see what files you are downloading, then upload these files to router you chose. and you will notice what RB series use PPC packages, mipsle or mibsbe. or just use DUDE.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:47 pm

as I said, only the new RouterOS v3 has understandable package names PLUS you use the System Selector to get the correct ones.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:53 am

PLUS you use the System Selector to get the correct ones.
Yes you do. It's almost idiot proof so there's a sporting chance even I might be able to get that part of it right.

But once I've installed my first RB600 in the network I'm going to be downloading updates for the RB100/500, the RB600 and the x86. So I'm going to have these folders on my Hard-drive, not selectable by the System Selector on your web-site.

So it would be really, really nice if the files and folders on my HDD - for uploading by ftp to the routers - were quick and easily distinguishable instead of my having to constantly check which is which by reference to some arcane 'catagorisation by processor'.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:36 pm

you have that for v3 (i already said that).

when you select a device in the download page, below it's picture - the NAME of the package appears (which actually is the CPU type).

you can tell which devices have the same package name by that method. as you see some have "mipsle", some "mipsbe" and some are "ppc". all devices with PPC can use the same package.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:28 pm

you have that for v3 (i already said that).
I've only downloaded one v3 set. I selected RB100 series on the download page. It gave me a set of packages called all_packages-mipsle-3.7.zip. I used it to upgrade an RB133C and it went to pieces - as I've reported in another thread. I had to spend a couple of hours taking it down from the roof, getting access to it and downgrading it back to 2.9.46, with which it's now working perfectly well.

When trying to find the problem I checked the package list which (from memory now) told me that it had RouterOS for the RB500. I went back to my hard-drive to check the packages I'd uploaded to it and could only see that they were 3.7-mipsle, which told me nothing at all.

I THOUGHT I'D UPLOADED THE WRONG SET OF PACKAGES TO IT!

Now you tell me it wasn't the wrong package set. Previously I had no way of knowing that the RB100 series and RB500 series take the same packages. Belatedly you've let me into the secret that what I should have done was to check back with the documentation to see what kind of processor the RB133C is supposed to have and then check that against the package file-name to see whether or not is was the right one for it. Nowhere is that set out in the documentation -or even in a little note on the download page for thickies like me and unhappily Normis I don't possess ESP.
when you select a device in the download page, below it's picture - the NAME of the package appears (which actually is the CPU type).

you can tell which devices have the same package name by that method. as you see some have "mipsle", some "mipsbe" and some are "ppc". all devices with PPC can use the same package.
Unhappily, you see Normis, I don't know what processor these boards have. I don't care what processor these boards have, as long as it does its job. I rely on you guys to do your sums and get it right and provide me with a board that does what you say it will. I don't want to have to learn what all the different CPUs are called that every MT board I use has onboard just so's I can know which of the several sets of packages residing on my HDD is the relevant one for the board I'm trying to upgrade at that moment.

All I'd really like is to be able to see a set of packages on my HDD, or even on the hdd of a routerboard before hitting the reboot button, and know it was the right one because it says so nice and simply, - like a polite "system-3.7-RB1xx/5xx.npk"

Or is that so simple that, God forbid, anyone at all could understand it?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:58 pm

I don't understand the issue here. You don't have to know the processor type. You want to know which packages can be used for which boards. Fortunately, that's exactly what the package name does. If you have a package with "mipsle" in it's name, and "mipsle" is also under RB500 section - you know that you don't have to download the packages again. you already have them.

To make it REALLY SIMPLE for you - the package with the name "fruit" will work with both Apples and Oranges, but package name CARS will work with BMWs and Audi's. As an addition, if you don't know if the BMW is a fruit or a Car, we SPECIFICALLY write this information under each products image.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Normunds,

what he's talking about is that once he is just looking at the downloaded package file names (.e.g upgrading another board two weeks later) he cannot see the "for RB500" from the name without knowing the right CPU architecture. And he won't start downloading the same firmware every time he needs to select the right firmware files.

But there's a simple solution for that: Make folders on your hard disk name something like "RB100_500" and put the files for that architecture in there. Another folder "RB200_x86" for the x86 type files, ...

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 01, 2008 1:51 am

Normunds,

But there's a simple solution for that: Make folders on your hard disk name something like "RB100_500" and put the files for that architecture in there. Another folder "RB200_x86" for the x86 type files, ...
Thank you cmit. I was beginning to think I was the only one who couldn't see the elephant in the room.

Yes, as a consequence of what I've learned in this exchange I will begin doing exactly what you suggest, but nevertheless it makes a two-stage process out of something that would only be a one-stop one if MT could only appreciate that there is an idiot end to their customer-base - and they're just willing to take the money from it as they are from the competent and expert end.

And this still wouldn't help when it comes to making a final check that you have the right packages on the RB for upgrade before hitting the reboot button.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 am

And you don´t have to worry that the uploaded packages are not the proper ones and would damage or destroy you router's config. If you uploaded a package that is mend for another type or router a reboot would just do that, reboot but without the package in the file list. The router can't load packages from another routerboard version.

And yes, make a folder system on your HD. Everytime a new upgrade is there I just download all packages form MT and put them in the folders where they belong. Even make a separation between the combined packages and the ´all packages´ zip file.
In the last case, I extract the files, put them in a new folder.
I then copy these packages I need to upgrade, for instance on a CPE I only use ¨wireless¨, ¨routerboard¨, ¨system¨ and ¨dhcp¨, and put them on a folder on the desktop of my PC

I open winbox into a CPE unit, open the file list and grab the 4 packages and dump them in the file list.
After this reboot the CPE and it works with the new ros.

At first the different packages were a bit confusing to me too but after a while you know and by using a simple work methode its an minor job to perform.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 01, 2008 5:35 am

The router can't load packages from another routerboard version.
That's good to know. I did wonder if it was the case but as the only way to find out is to deliberately upload the wrong set of packages to a board and reboot it I thought it might be better to remain in ignorance.

The Mikrotik documentation doesn't mention this. In fact the manual tells you how to uninstall a 'wrong' package which I took to mean one for the wrong board, but I guess it might be another example of Mikrotik's often eccentric use of English and what it meant to say was an 'unnecessary' package.

Or is it.....?
I open winbox into a CPE unit, open the file list and grab the 4 packages and dump them in the file list.
I didn't know this was possible. I've been messing around with ftp for over a year! It's one of the probably very many useful little tricks you can do with Winbox that MT decided not to tell anyone about in their customarily laconic manual entry. Just like the one about using the console as a text messenger they've elected to pull out of their secrets box in the latest newsletter.

I've also been religiously download updates for the RB100 series from the Website, unzipping them, uploading them to a RB500 router by ftp, using auto-update to download them to my 112 and 133 CPEs and rebooting them, wiping the 'RB100' updates from the router, downloading the updates from the RB500 series from the website to a newly-created folder, unzipping them, uploading them to the RB500 by ftp and rebooting it to update it.

Still, it kept me busy.

Not that I wasn't already busy enough.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 01, 2008 11:36 am

The router can't load packages from another routerboard version.
That's good to know. I did wonder if it was the case but as the only way to find out is to deliberately upload the wrong set of packages to a board and reboot it I thought it might be better to remain in ignorance.
Well, it happened to me by accident because I also was confused by the serveral different type of packages. But usually I use new updates first on new to be configured unit on my table. So if something goes wrong I can just take another unit when needed. It's not a production unit yet.
The Mikrotik documentation doesn't mention this.

I agree. The ros ref. manual is more a technical document that prescribes lots of possible usages for the ros (and it doesn't cover all). But it is definately not an easy explanatory manual. A lot you have to learn by trial and error and asking this forum.
Some threads are blessing this forum because its so active and good, outstanding many other manufacturers forums. I think it is merely a result of the lack of proper explanations for the many usages of the MT ros by MT. Users are forced to learn through the forum. :o
I didn't know this was possible.

This way you also easily can up and download all files from and to the router. log, supout.rif, backup, etc.
Somebody else on the forum told me, its nowhere to be found in the manuals.

Regarding the ros manual: the different manual revision (that are following the many ros families and updates) are not all the same in subjects they prescribe.
Some manuals only deal with some parts of the ros, others have many more chapters. For instance, the ref manual3.0 does not mention all options of the ros while earlier versions can be found that do. But it doesn't mean therefore these functions are not there any more in the ros3.x!
I've also been religiously download updates for the RB100 series from the Website, unzipping them, uploading them to a RB500 router by ftp, using auto-update to download them to my 112 and 133 CPEs and rebooting them, wiping the 'RB100' updates from the router, downloading the updates from the RB500 series from the website to a newly-created folder, unzipping them, uploading them to the RB500 by ftp and rebooting it to update it.
Well, that´s how we learn. In my case the auto-update in ros3.x never worked anyway so I do it manually the way I prescibed. A bit of work but its more work to find out why the auto-update doesn't work.

Rudy

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 01, 2008 1:15 pm

the ref manual3.0 does not mention all options of the ros while earlier versions can be found that do. But it doesn't mean therefore these functions are not there any more in the ros3.x!

Rudy
I didn't even know there was a ref 3 manual until I read this. I'm on the MT mailing list and receive the newsletter and in my innocence thought MT would actually announce the arrival of a manual for v3 - even as a work in progress - with a fanfare and a bit of crowing about their support for the shiny new products and how good it is, and even provide a link for it so's folk can see what it contains and why it's better than v2-9. Or at the very least might shyly mention it in passing.

But no, they slip it in under the door for people fall over if they happen to pass that way almost as if they hope no-one's going to notice. I even sniped at Normis about it above and he didn't mention it.

I must admit that one of the things I like about Mikrotik is the sense that you're not dealing with some great soulless Microsoftian monolith, run by the marketing department along shiny steel commercial lines. I kind'a get the feeling they're all beavering away with their soldering irons and Unix developer's software in a garden shed somewhere intent on producing ever better Routerboards while their Mums look after all the paperwork and the administration.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 02, 2008 8:27 am

and what do you suggest, that we put all the router model names in the filename? and how will it work when we have lots more new products?

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 am

and what do you suggest, that we put all the router model names in the filename? and how will it work when we have lots more new products?
Well, yes. I suppose I am suggesting that.

After all, what's the difference between:

routerboard-3.7-mipsle.npk

and

routerboard-3.7-RB500.npk

apart from the fact that the latter tells you exactly where you should be putting it.

As for when you have a lot more products, what are YOU going to do when you have mipsl processors in you RB1200 range and your RB800 range?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 am

routerboard-3.7-RB500.npk
if the package is the same for like 10 products, what will it be like? routerboard-3.7-rb112-rb133-rb150-rb153-rb500.npk ?
As for when you have a lot more products, what are YOU going to do when you have mipsl processors in you RB1200 range and your RB800 range?
nothing, mipsle packages will work for all mipsle products. i think that's the thing that you don't get it yet. we have 4 package types. x86, mips-le, mips-be and ppc. whenever a new mips-le product will come out, mips-le packages will work with it. what you suggested is even more complicated - make a new package name for this product type. we'll end up with a whole bunch of packages

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 10:48 am

if the package is the same for like 10 products, what will it be like? routerboard-3.7-rb112-rb133-rb150-rb153-rb500.npk ?
routerboard-3.7-rb1xx/5xx.npk ?

nothing, mipsle packages will work for all mipsle products. i think that's the thing that you don't get it yet. we have 4 package types. x86, mips-le, mips-be and ppc. whenever a new mips-le product will come out, mips-le packages will work with it. what you suggested is even more complicated - make a new package name for this product type. we'll end up with a whole bunch of packages
Yes, you're right about what I didn't get. How could I have got it when afaIk this is the first time Mikrotik have explained it?

So you only have 4 package types, but get us to select from 11 (eleven!) menu entries on the download page?

Why not just four download buttons called (if you must):

mipsle (RB series a, b, c)
mipsbe (RB series x,y,z)
ppc (whatever this is for)
x86 (Intel/AMD and other x86)

With an "The whole shebang in a pink ribbon" button for those who want it all?

Then we unwashed peasants out in the fields trying to run a wireless network with our 'Idiot's Guide to TCP/IP' in one hand and No. 8 wire in the other would at least know where what went.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 02, 2008 12:15 pm

the second post in this thread says that there are many boards which use the same packages.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 03, 2008 12:42 am

the second post in this thread says that there are many boards which use the same packages.
I think we've established that.

What I'm still trying to get across to you is that YOUR system of downloads requires ME to either download exactly the same >23MB file twice - once for my RB100s and once for my RB500s - unzip and place exactly the same >23MB file in two different folders on my hdd, upload the one for my RB100s to an RB500 router and use auto-upgrade on my CPEs, then wipe the RB500 memory and upload exactly the same file from the RB500 folder to the RB500 and then upgrade that ;

OR

I have to have a list beside my keyboard cross-referencing all the different boards on my system with their processor types, find out from your system menu which processor the download is for, download them to folders identified by processor types, work-out which folder refers to which device so I can upload the appropriate one, and a week later when I have a new device all shiny from its packaging, look up for the documentation what processor it uses so I can know what folder to pull its upgrade from.

I can't help feeling there is a better way.

Maybe it would help if you could explain the rationale behind MT's device naming system - if there is one. After all, if I go to Routerboard.com there are at least 3 boards all claiming to be the perfect answer to my CPE needs - the RB133c, the RB411 and Crossroads. All, I'm sure, have their pros and cons but any one of the three would meet my requirements perfectly well and sitting down to choose between them - especially if I was committing a business to a future direction, which I'm not - would be quite difficult.

It's well known in the marketing world that if you offer a customer too many choices with no substantial differences between them there is a tendency for them to get paralysed - like a donkey mid-way between two piles of hay - and either not buy at all or go somewhere else where there is less choice!

jcremin

Sat May 03, 2008 1:00 am

Why are you downloading 23mb files? The combined package is only around 9mb. Also, why would you have to download the same file twice? If the filename says mipsle, it is for 5xx and 133, etc.... you don't have to download it twice... its the SAME FILE!

Do this.... Go through the list... Create the following folders:

1xx,5xx,crossroads -- put mipsle in this folder
4xx ---put mipsbe in this folder
2xx,x86 --- put x86 in this folder
3xx,6xx,1xxx ---put ppc in this folder.

There, now you have all the firmwares you'll need. When a new version comes out, just download ONE of each file and put in the respective folder... no need to download a seperate file for 3xx, 6xx, 1xxx..

Yes it may be a little confusing, but this system makes it pretty easy.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 03, 2008 5:10 am

Why are you downloading 23mb files?
Dunno. It was off the top of my head that the most recent download I did was 23MB, but on checking see that was Mikrotik-3.4.iso which came in at 24.5MB. I agree that all_packages-mipsle-3.7.zip is a mere 16.3MB. And even with the wonders of ADSL brought to me by wireless through Mikrotik routers, that still takes me a while, and costs me.
The combined package is only around 9mb. Also, why would you have to download the same file twice? If the filename says mipsle, it is for 5xx and 133, etc.... you don't have to download it twice... its the SAME FILE!
I know that now. But the filename only says it's mipsle. *I* know now it's for the 5xx and the 1xx because I asked a silly question on this forum about RouterOS downloads.

Let's say I add a 600 and some 411s to our network. *Now* that I know how the system works I can at least have a look at the actual filenames of the packages the MT download so see if the 600 and the 411s take the same file, or maybe the 411 takes the same file as the 1xx/5xx series. Or maybe the 600 does. And so adjust my downloads accordingly. And either make a note of it somewhere that I'll find it again or hope that I can remember next time a new release comes out that the 411 takes the same file as the 133. Or was it the 600? Damn, I'd better check. Where did I put the brochures?

But ask yourself honestly - is it obvious from the MT download page that you can stick the RB500 system files on the RB100? And if it isn't explained there where else is the information? And even if the files we download for the RB100 system have the same name as the files on offer for the RB500 how many folk are going to have the confidence to say, 'Oh, they must be the same, then', and how many are going to say, 'Oh, they have the same name. Mikrotik obviously expects me to keep them clearly marked and separate so that I don't accidentally load the RB500 files onto a RB100.'
Do this.... Go through the list... Create the following folders:

1xx,5xx,crossroads -- put mipsle in this folder
4xx ---put mipsbe in this folder
2xx,x86 --- put x86 in this folder
3xx,6xx,1xxx ---put ppc in this folder.

There, now you have all the firmwares you'll need. When a new version comes out, just download ONE of each file and put in the respective folder... no need to download a seperate file for 3xx, 6xx, 1xxx..

Yes it may be a little confusing, but this system makes it pretty easy.
But wouldn't it be easier if Mikrotik did what you are I are both now suggesting? That is just have four download buttons and say, "this one is for 1xx, 5xx, crossroads", "this one is for 4xx", etc. Then I can download the mipsle file staight into my '1xx/5xx/crossroads' folder without having to KNOW or worry what processor it has.

That, surely, wouldn't be confusing at all, and is even easier.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun May 04, 2008 5:35 am

Okaaaay. More clarification please?

Have just downloaded my first v3.7 all-packages for the RB100 series - mipsle apparently.

I won't ask why -ns- on the v2-9 packages is now -mpsle- as I don't want to know, but can anyone tell me:

1. what the mpls.npk package does. Is it essential?

2. what does the calea package do?

3. what does the multicast package do?

Is there any information about these packages anywhere?

4. does the 'combined packages' package RouterOS-mpsle include all the 'all_packages" packages except Dude and User-Manager? and/or hotspot? Unhappily the "includes optional packages: content" link doesn't work in my browser.

5. does anyone else think that a newcomer faced with his first attempt to scale the obfustications of the Mikrotik download page might possibly conceive of the notion that you first have to download and install the new RouterOS package and then add selectable packages like ntp, ppp and wireless to it?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 06, 2008 9:25 am

won't ask why -ns- on the v2-9 packages is now -mpsle- as I don't want to know
because back then, when 2.9 was released, we only had two routerboard models.
3. what does the multicast package do?
if the names mean nothing to you, you won't need them
4. does the 'combined packages' package RouterOS-mpsle include all the 'all_packages" packages except Dude and User-Manager? and/or hotspot? Unhappily the "includes optional packages: content" link doesn't work in my browser.
click on "content" next to the all-packages download link, and it will show you what's inside.
5. does anyone else think that a newcomer faced with his first attempt to scale the obfustications of the Mikrotik download page might possibly conceive of the notion that you first have to download and install the new RouterOS package and then add selectable packages like ntp, ppp and wireless to it?
out of hundreds of thousands of people, you are the first

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Likely, but then again if I knew what they were maybe I'd think, 'Hey, that's just what I need.'

Any reason for the secrecy?

click on "content" next to the all-packages download link, and it will show you what's inside.
I did actually say that clicking on the "content" next to the all-packages download link doesn't work in my browser - Firefox 2.0.0.11.
Perhaps I'm just the first to ask about it, Normis. After all, I did say it was a silly question. But wouldn't it have been nicer to have just answered my silly questions rather than putting me down? After all, the title of this forum is "Beginner Basics".

I thought that was probably the case, but I'm also looking for the reason my two attempts to upgrade v2.9 RBs have resulted in crashed boards.

I'm trying both to be loyal to Mikrotik as I think it's a good product, but also be faithful to the folk who entrust me with their money to use to buy wireless gear so's they can join the network, and it's not likely to stop growing for a long time. If you honestly think I ought to be spending their money on another manufacturer's product perhaps you should say so here.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 06, 2008 1:00 pm

well it does work in my firefox, and all the others around here ...

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2008 4:48 am

well it does work in my firefox, and all the others around here ...
You're absolutely right, it does work. It only works if you click on the 'content' part of it and there's no underlining as there is on the other clickable links nor change of cursor style to indicate that it is a clickable link different from the rest of the line, but once again I've paid the price of not being 100% aux-fait with the way Mikrotik does things.
Are you really saying that 'hundreds of thousands of people' have successfully upgraded Miktotik Routerboards from v2.9 to v3?

I've never had any trouble upgrading any v2.9 board to a higher v2.9, but I've twice tried to upgrade v2.9 boards to v3 and have ended up with crashed boards. Clearly there's a reason for this, and two possible reasons I wanted to rule out are:

1. I was using a version of the OS intended for RB500s on an RB 100, or

2. It was first necessary to upgrade the OS from RouterOS v2.9.x to v3.x and then put the required packets from all_packets on - the kind of thing you often have to do in Linux.

I didn't think either was actually the case but I wasn't 100% sure so I asked a silly question in a Basic Beginners forum, and have been disparaged and discourteously dismissed by Mikrotik Tech when it would have been easier and a lot more helpful had he actually addressed and answered the questions.

Forgive me if I'm going to give serious thought as to whether I wouldn't be better switching to products from a different manufacturer for the further development of our network.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 07, 2008 8:50 am

Are you really saying that 'hundreds of thousands of people' have successfully upgraded Miktotik Routerboards from v2.9 to v3?
more or less

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 07, 2008 1:52 pm

more or less

8)

.... probably more - because we did all our RB's with V3 and once 3.7 was in it all works VERY nicely thank you!!!

Uptime like you won't believe - more time to "break" things in our Lab....

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 12:00 am

.... probably more -
I'd suggest that even if 'hundreds of thousands' of routers have been successfully upgraded this was done by a few professional, full-time network administrators - tho' I'd put my money on most of the hundreds of thousands of Mikrotik routers out there still running an upgraded version of the v2-9 they came with. After all if it's working why risk breaking it with an upgrade that doesn't add anything essential?

The only MT router I have access to on a commercial operator's network is still running v2.9.27 and doing its job perfectly well.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 am

I wouldn't let anyone except an administrator touch your routers ... it's a security risk after all

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 am

I wouldn't let anyone except an administrator touch your routers ... it's a security risk after all
In this we agree totally, Normis. Problem is, I AM the system administrator.

We had an experienced administrator help us set up our network and he recommended Mikrotik because he said it was the best. So we backed his assessment with our money. Now he's changed jobs and cannot help us, and here in New Zealand experienced administrators - especially Mikrotik ones - are rare and precious, and can earn big money in the big cities so what chance does a piddling little rural and very isolated community far from the big cities and with no money, and which chose Mikrotik because it was told it was the best, do then?

I'm trying to do my best, Normis, unpaid and for the community. Every day I maybe learn a little more but I have no help here, no-one to ask, nothing to fall back on but Mikrotik's impenetrable documentation. That's why I sometimes have to ask silly questions on a Mikrotik Beginner's Basics forum.

And why it really, really doesn't help to be told that if I don't know the answer to something I've no business to be asking.
3. what does the multicast package do?-

Can't a gal be curious?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 08, 2008 10:26 am

MPLS package provides support for MPLS routing protocol:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Routing#MPLS

CALEA package provides support for the CALEA USA government required sniffer format:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Calea

MULTICAST provides support for Multicast routing:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Multicast ... uterOS_3.x

Search is a great invention of the computer age.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2008 12:18 am

Search is a great invention of the computer age.
Yes it is. And wouldn't Googling 'multicast' be an informative exercise!

And I did Google 'calea' and knew it didn't apply to me, but 'mpls' when associated with a package for a mipsle processor sounds like it might be important.

My point, though, Normis is that I shouldn't have to Google to find out what these Mikrotik packages do on my Mikrotik router. I'd suggest Mikrotik should make that information available to their customers.

But thanks for the information. Now I can sleep peacefully.

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 09, 2008 2:58 am

Dude you were so pissed :lol: now relax.

Peace

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 09, 2008 3:48 am

Peace
Like... yeah man.

Actually Normis might have been wrong when he told me "if the names mean nothing to you, you won't need them". I've been looking at ways to set up a virtual sub-net just for VoIP routed to a trixbox, with m3p, no encryption and minimum delays, and it looks as though MPLS might be the solution. I'd seen a reference somewhere to 'interface routing' in v3. but couldn't find out anything about it anywhere else.

Glad I asked, and asked, and asked....

And I'm still pissed off that Mikrotik has such a great product and chooses to make it so damn difficult to use.