MikroTik App

Pepo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

POE is it nessecary ???

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi all,
I want to buy a router board from the markets and here in my country the seller asks me if i want a POE adapter, or normal adapter ???
I want to give him the best answer, also can i not buy the poe ???
:lol:
If you want please write to me the most important things i want to have AP wireless main ???
:?

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: POE is it nessecary ???

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:29 am

Is your AP goint to be outside, get POE
inside in a arck, get normal

:-)

k.gen04
just joined

Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:24 am

I believe most routerboards have POE. If you do not need it now(mounted inside near a power point) you can always buy the adapter later(for mounting outside or in a roof, etc). My Mikrotik is mounted in the roof and runs POE from an adapter.

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:17 am

While I use PoE in certain situations I prefer to avoid it.

I will use it where the cable-run is 'out of harm's way' - that is, it's not likely to be interfered with, usually the subscriber's premises - as it's undeniably easier than having a second cable to the jack-plug. But where it's vulnerable, particularly in shared AP sites or where third-party or unauthorised intruders might deliberately or accidentally pinch, cut, drop-something on or yank the ethernet cable (to see what it's attached to?) I think the risk of the internal wires being damaged and shorting, possibly sending 48v up one of the data-lines, is too great.

But I'd be interested in what other's think.