Community discussions

MikroTik App

lukef
Topic Author

Bandwidth Management

Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:12 am

Hey Guys
Im new to routeros so please go gentle. I have setup a hotpot using router os and im now working on bandwidth shaping. Basically the router os will be setup with two ethernet interfaces as per the diagram bellow which connect to a DSL router 1500/256 and a wireless AP. I know Router os can be the ppoe and wireless connection all in one but we are working with existing hardware

Gateway | Router OS | Linksys wireless AP
DSL firewall /router 192.168.17.1 |-------- > ethernet 2 192.168.17.2 <-----> Ethernet 1 192.168.16.1 |<---->< wireless access point 192.168.16.2>

Basically i have managed to get bandwidth shaping working using simple queues and queue types using PCQ. what im wanting to achieve is to give the wireless clients only some of the bandwidth of the internet connection. So i have setup two pcq queue types an upload and a download and applied it to a simple queue. The download rate is set to 756k.
The issue is by the looks of it these queues are suppling each user with 756k download rates ( tested with faster connection ) rather than splitting the 756k between users which is what i want to achieve so the wireless will draw a maximum of 756k at a time.

Have i used the incorrect confuguration type???? Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Luke

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Bandwidth Management

Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:20 pm

lukef -

You need to post your Hotspot config and the queue config....

In terminal mode /ip hotspot print.... Similiar for queue config. You can copy and past the terminal output in to the forum here.

It sounds like Hotspot bandwidth limiting (queues) are taking priority over the simple queues you setup via pcq....