Community discussions

MikroTik App

lormar
just joined
Topic Author

One hotspot want to add another with access to original

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:21 pm

I have one AP (hotspot) running and have another r52h and a xr2 installed on a 433ah inside of a flat panel antenna/client box for a new AP using the original AP ISP. I have tried the repeater setup example (not what I really need) and the eoip and also wds. Seems that nothing is working for me. I am using the r52h to talk with the original AP/hotspot and the xr2 as the new AP. What am I doing wrong or am I crazy? All I wanted to do was use the original AP to feed to this new one. Nothing seems to be working. I am using winbox and see the two cards in the new unit, tried all examples to get the two sites talking but nada...anyone have an example of what I am trying to do out there?

Mark

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: One hotspot want to add another with access to original

Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm

lormar (Mark)
Well you have sort of told us what you are trying to do - but you need to post some of your config here so we can tell you where you went wrong....

Basically it sounds like you want the origianl Hotspot to feed your new one and still handle clients as well. That sounds straight forward enough.... You may need to setup a virtual AP to talk to your new Hotspot - so that the new one does not have to authenticate itself with the original one.... There are at least a few ways to do this but I prefer to wait until you post your config here so we can take a look at what you have and then point you in the right direction...

R/

lormar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Please see the screen shot of the original hotspot setup. I have removed all attempts at connecting at this point. The new setup is: rb433ah with one XR2 for the omni antenna/client side and one R52h for connecting to the original hotspot system through the built in panel antenna. All the new is housed in the client outdoor enclosure with the omni antenna external. I have removed all attempts on the new system so pretty much default IP addresses, wlan1 is the omni/client side and wlan2 is the r52 to connect with original system. Any other information you need?

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:42 am

Hi Mark -
I have a pretty busy business - so it has taken a little while to get back to your post.

Let's see - you have your original Hotspot depicted above.

First - take the hotspot off of the VAP wlan2 interface in your original unit. You'd want that (wlan2 your 'new' Virtual AP) to be just a straight AP Bridge. The IP address is fine. Now set the ssid the same for both of those interfaces, wlan2 (VAP) on the original box and station mode w/the same ssid on the new box in the R52. On your new unit, you need the R52 to have an IP of 10.5.50.2/24 This puts the units in the same IP address block. For the XR2 in the new Hotspot - you'd set it up just like the original except the DHCP IP address block has to be different.

Next would be the routing - gateway from the new box would be the IP of wlan2 on the old box, 10.5.50.1. In the old box you'll also have to setup a masquerade rule, out-interface=ether1 action=masqurerade. That way all the data from the new box gets src-nat'd prior to going out ether1 of the original box. Also on the old box, you'll need to add a route that tells it (the old box) where to find the new network (IP address block) that you 'installed' for the Hotspot on the new box.... Get all that? :)

Ok Mark - that's it for the moment. See if you can get that going - if not - it would be better if you could go in to terminal (telnet) mode on the routerboards and then use the commend line to print out your configs.

Past this I don't have enough info on how you are managing your hotspot - how do users authenticate? Radius, Usermanager, HotSpot existing profile, what?

R/

Thom

lormar
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm

I use the hotspot existing profile. If I do remove the hotspot from the VAP I will have to change all the firewall settings and etc. Seems a lot of work but willing to do it if I can get it done quick as I have connected individuals most of the hours of the day. I will try what you suggest and see what happens.

Mark

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm

lormar -

Mark -
Quoting you " I use the hotspot existing profile. If I do remove the hotspot from the VAP I will have to change all the firewall settings and etc. Seems a lot of work but willing to do it if I can get it done quick as I have connected individuals most of the hours of the day. I will try what you suggest and see what happens.

Mark"

Well now I don't understand - you have wlan1 which is the hotspot & you have wlan2 which is a virtual interface on the actual wlan card.... Basically a Virtual AP. Are you telling me that your hotspot is actually on the VAP and that Wlan1 is actually 'available'?

Thom

lormar
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Thom asked me to post the results so others can learn. Here they are and everything is up and running with some very good tips too! Enjoy and anyone that wants to do what I did will be able to read this and do it with no problem, I hope!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:59 pm

Mark - Just posting some clarifications here so the other folks know what you started with, what you wanted, and what you ended up with.....

Mark wanted to be able to add a second Hotspot to service other clients in his area. Did not want to disturb the current client base. He also did NOT want to use an EoIP tunnel or WDS.

Started with - satellite modem -> switch-> MT HotSpot, 1 R52 in the 2ghz band

Ended up with - satellite modem -> switch-> MT original HotSpot, 1 R52 in the 2ghz band
.........................................-> MT VAP using original R52->New RB R52 station mode
.....................................................................->New XR2 Hotspot on New RB

What we basically did was add a Virtual Access Point (VAP) to his original Hotspot. Gave it it's own IP address space, SSID, and security profile.

On the new Hotspot we used an R52 as a client (station mode) to connect to the old Hotspot using the newly created VAP. This allowed us to route between the two RBs with minimal effort.

Next we added a new Hotspot on the new RB using a XR2 as the Wlan interface. Again - a new address space and SSID. In this case we also added a DHCP server so the clients would be all set once they logged in. Used the 'standard' Hotspot rules to set up NAT'ing for the clients. Added a few other rules and done.

Now the Original Hotspot doubles as a backhaul for the secondary Hotspot. The two radios are on 2412 and 2462 - so as to minimize interference between the two Hotspots.

The last thing we did was set up Mark's internal network so that his desktop could access the two Hotspots and the Internet at the same time...something Mark had not been able to do because of the way he was connected to his internal network....

Look at the original setup above, Mark's desktop was connected to the same switch as the original Hotspot and the Satellite modem. He was getting a DHCP addr and GW from the Satellite modem......

What we did was add a new internal network IP to the original Hotspot ether1 interface. Now ether1 has two IP address blocks, one assigned by the satellite via dhcp and one static that we assigned (172.16.0.1/24).

Next we added this address this address to the desktop - 172.16.0.2/24 (255.255.255.0) GW=172.16.0.1 and the dns we set for the RB Hotspot as well - 172.16.0.1.

Back in to the hotspot - we added DNS entries in DNS 'setup' and allowed remote requests..... Now in the Firewall we added a special NAT rule to ONLY NAT the new 172 addr-space when going to the Internet - otherwise is does not get NAT'd. This was accomplished by the rule; src-addr=172.16.0.0/24 dst-addr=!172.16.0.0/24 out-interface=ether1 action=masquerade Now this rule does exactly what we want - NAT datagrams that are only destined for the Internet. All other datagrams from the 172.16.0.0/24 block headed else where will not be modified....

One last thing - we also, for good measure, added a route in the new HotSpot for the new network - 172.16.0.0/24 - we told the new Hotspot that the gateway for this IP block was 10.10.10.1 - the original HotSpot VAP IP address.

Now Mark has access to the Internet, and both RBs from his desktop. He can also access both RBs from inside his wireless HotSpot network as well.

Well done Mark!!

R/

Thom