Community discussions

MikroTik App

Commodore
just joined
Topic Author

10Base2 with 3Com 3c905B

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:58 am

hi,
can i (and how) use a 10Base2 media type of my 3Com 3c905B ISA network adapter?

thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: 10Base2 with 3Com 3c905B

Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:10 pm

ISA cards need custom driver loading, see:
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3. ... driver.php
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Commodore
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:39 pm

i have already loaded the driver, and the card is working well, but in 10BaseT mode.
if i plug the BNC T-connector with the cable there is no activity...
do i need to switch from 10BaseT to 10Base2 media type?

thanks

alex_rhys-hurn

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Sorry to ask the obvious, but I trust that you are using the correct impedance coax tpieces and terminators... you cant just plug the coaxt to the BNC...

Forgive me if you know this.... just asking....

You shouldnt have to switch the card from 10baset to 10base2 it should do a link negotiation properly. Because we are talking link layer here its before any tcp/ip stuff starts flowing.

What are your cable lengths and how many devices are you putting on the link? Do you get any link lights?

Have you checked to make sure the cables are sound without any shorts between the cable jacket and the centre core?

Rgds

Alex

PS. can I just ask out of curiosity why you want 10base 2? I havent seen any of that around for a loooong time... are you doing something interesting with it?

Commodore
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Sorry to ask the obvious, but I trust that you are using the correct impedance coax tpieces and terminators... you cant just plug the coaxt to the BNC...

Forgive me if you know this.... just asking....

You shouldnt have to switch the card from 10baset to 10base2 it should do a link negotiation properly. Because we are talking link layer here its before any tcp/ip stuff starts flowing.

What are your cable lengths and how many devices are you putting on the link? Do you get any link lights?

Have you checked to make sure the cables are sound without any shorts between the cable jacket and the centre core?

Rgds

Alex

PS. can I just ask out of curiosity why you want 10base 2? I havent seen any of that around for a loooong time... are you doing something interesting with it?
the coaxial cable, T-connectors and terminatros age good. i test them with two Windows computers.

there is no link when i connect the MT and PC.
link is ok only with 10baset connection.

cable is ~4 meters long, and there is only 2 devices (MT and PC)
link lights on MT card is only with RJ-45 pluged in.

cable is good and tested with other computers.

i am just experimenting with 10base2 ;)

now i will try with another BNC card on my PC. but i have no other ISA to change that ot the MT :(

thanks for assistance

PS: i think i find the problem. see images.
1.PNG
2.PNG
can i enable it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alex_rhys-hurn

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Cool! I like to play with stuff too....

Well if the tick is set in the auto-negotiation then it should be enabled. I see that you have it ticked and it still says disabled.... hmmm...

Perhaps instead of trying to auto negotiate you could set and force each end of the link to the speed and duplex you want. But chances are you tried that already.

IMHO this is starting to look like a driver issue...

Good luck!