Community discussions

MikroTik App

Wraiths
just joined
Topic Author

Static IP's and DNS Server

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:32 am

Hello Everyone,

I work for a small WISP in Canada and we have been using the Mikrotik's for a long time. Right now our E-10 is plugged into the E1 port of the Mikrotik and then E3 is connected to a switch that all our wireless AP's plug into. We are using a static IP setup for our clients at the moment. We have expanded faster then we had predicted and we would now like to switch to a DHCP system instead. I would like to set up a DHCP server on the E2 port and be able to leave the static IP address clients alone and start setting people up on the DHCP server and then convert the static IP people later. Right now E1 and E3 are bridged together and I have created a DHCP server on E2. I am not able to bridge E2 and E1 together though so I'm not sure on where I need to go next with this. I use Winbox mostly to configure the Mikrotik. I have done a lot of searching and reading the manual but unfortunately I may be missing something in how to get this working. For the people that are connecting to the DHCP server I will be setting them on Static after they have associated with the server. Thank you very much in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this and offer help.

Regards,

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Static IP's and DNS Server

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:57 am

Why can you not add E2 to your bridge?

I'm sure any MT consultant would be able to help you out. They do charge though, at http://www.mikrotik.com/consultants.html

Wraiths
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Maybe I can and I'm doing it wrong. When I thought I had it I lost remote connectivity. When I plugged into it directly it seemed that the traffic was stuck in a loop. Am I able to have both of the ports plugged into a switch? Thank you for all your help.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Move the IPs and DHCP-Server to ether3. done. :)

Wraiths
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Can this be done to have x.x.x.x/24 for routable IP's and then have the dhcp server running for 192.168.x.x/24 IP's all on ether 1? I have been trying to enable the DHCP server but it just stays red and invalid.

Wraiths
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Okay I got it to work like you suggested. I can't get online past the dhcp server though. Is there a NAT routing thing I must do before it will pass traffic? Thank you so very much for helping me getting this working.