Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

salamat
just joined
Topic Author

what is the solution?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 am

hello,

i m using mikrotik for last 2 years...for point to point wirless links, i hav no shy to say i hav never use such wonderful gear in point to point wireless link...but i hav also used it for point to multipoint for connecting my 15-20 wireless clinets,they hav got third party wireless access point(Low cost Dlink acces points)..but the results was not satisfactory one...i m sorry to say before giving mikrotik a try i was using Senao 2611 CB3 access point for connecting my wirless clients and i felt tht senao is performing same as mikrotik infact liitle better then mikrotik in multipoint wirless operations.i m using sector to connect these wireless clinets.

1.why mikrotik dont work like a charm in pont to mulitpoint operations,like it does in point to point links. why it dont live upto expectations.

2.i hav used RB 411AH with R52H card and 120 deg.sector, not more then 15 cleints at a time..every wirless CPE is within 1.5 km distnace frm the sector, no firewall rule no cpu consuming queus,

3. i found ping timed out of 20 percent coustomers, heavy letancy frm 40 %, 10 pecent coustomer sometime seems ok and then they show poor performance, but 30 % was doing just good.

4. i hav kept most wireless settings to default after configuring RB for AP operations.

5. did i select wrong mini pci card, or miktoik is very senstive to interference in multi-point wireless operations. is there any special ROS version for multipoint wireless connections.is there any trick to configure it for multipoint wirless connetivity.

note:- i m using 2.4 ghz and i hav to, for point to multipoint wireless operations.
thxx and plzz help..

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: what is the solution?

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:14 am

you didn't mention the client hardware - what are the clients at this distance?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

wireless12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 am

i did mention teh client hardware.. mostly they are dlink DWL-2100 Ap, and longest distnace is approx 1.5km all clinets are not more then 1.5 km away frm the sector.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 am

isn't it a bit too far for devices with no external antenna? read the specs, it says max 400 meters:

http://www.dlink.com/products/resource. ... =912&sec=0

and hearing "max" from Dlink means that in reality, reliable connection Max is 300 meters.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

salamat
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:55 am

u r right normis, but i wanna tell u that i hav already using 10 db patch antenna for those clients which are within 500 mtrs. and directional grid antenna beyound 500 mts upto 1.5 km..and lin e of site is almost clear frm each CPE. and if i fix senao 2611 CB3 access point which i previously using it shows better response then mikrotik while the clinet hardware is same for both of them.

hansin
just joined

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:01 am

I also suffwring with same problem...............if you got any solution than please also share with me......

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:35 am

i did mention teh client hardware.. mostly they are dlink DWL-2100 Ap, and longest distnace is approx 1.5km all clinets are not more then 1.5 km away frm the sector.
Here are few golden rules you have to follow:

- antenas MUST have clear line of sight including clear Fresnell zone
- antenna polarisation MUST match signal polarisation
- signal MUST be in range -65dBm to -55 dBm
- you MUST NOT use Dlink wireless devices

MCT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Here are few golden rules you have to follow:

- antenas MUST have clear line of sight including clear Fresnell zone
- antenna polarisation MUST match signal polarisation
- signal MUST be in range -65dBm to -55 dBm
- you MUST NOT use Dlink wireless devices
- A single weak client can pull down the performance of the access point for everyone connected to it, the reason not to use Dlink for anything other than door stops or target practice.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Such accesspoints/clients equal d-link you will not be able to set up the ack-timing, this leads to an unstable link.
And a stable link will succeed if you use good stuff on both sides, the accesspoint and clients.
Use not d-link this is not made for this.