Community discussions

titius
Topic Author

One IP on two adsl balancing

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi, Is it possibile to make load balance in case I have just one computer that goes to the internet (squid).

I have two adsl modems.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: One IP on two adsl balancing

Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:15 pm

if both of them give you IP from different subnet, you can use simple load balancing - add multiple default gateways. each new packet will be sent through another gateway
No answer to your question? How to write posts

titius
Topic Author

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:12 pm

segaodma
just joined

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm

I have one ADSL and one cable. ADSL is faster and traffic limited and cable is slow but unlimited. I want to route p2p through the cable and the rest to the ADSL. I'm using winbox from a XP based comp. Should I use mangle for this?

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 pm

if both of them give you IP from different subnet, you can use simple load balancing - add multiple default gateways. each new packet will be sent through another gateway
Each packet or each connection? I don't think this will work. It would maybe work if the client had one Internet IP address etc. which I doubt is the case.
I have one ADSL and one cable. ADSL is faster and traffic limited and cable is slow but unlimited. I want to route p2p through the cable and the rest to the ADSL. I'm using winbox from a XP based comp. Should I use mangle for this?
In both cases I would suggest routing traffic per-connection through different gateways as well as routing all HTTP, HTTPS, Skype and other services through the same connection for a given client.

To do this one needs to have different routing-marks and connection marks, as well as Layer 7 for the VoIP/Skype and messengers routing.
wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/NetworkPro_on_Quality_of_Service

segaodma
just joined

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Uhm I'm quite new here...
Do I do it with filter rules or with mangle?
Whats the difference?

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm

I would suggest you to try and read the manual, http://www.mikrotik.com/documentation.html

the filter facility is usable for packet filtering. the mangle facility is what we use to recognize different types of traffic/packets with.

Alternatively, you could employ a consultant to do the configuration for you, some times remotely.

p.s. don't forget to check the manual+wiki articles as examples and new additions to the manual. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Main_Page
wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/NetworkPro_on_Quality_of_Service