Community discussions

MikroTik App

ctcwireless
just joined
Topic Author

point to point trouble

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 am

Hi I work at a wireless company as their wireless manager.
I have taken down 1 point to point and I am in the middle of redploying it at another location, I am not that familiar with Mikrotik so I am alittle confused.
The p2p was working fine when I took it down, all I have done is changed from 2 grid antennas on each end to the all in one MTI wireless edge horizontal and Vertical all in one box.
Now when I setup the network in my office and log into each side I try to use the scan under wireless tables and they cannot see each other.
I have double checked that the polarities cables are on the right ends and I have also checked to make sure that each is set correctly pointing to each other.
I am using N Stream Dual settings with a freq. on 5ghx 5300mhz.
I am pointing the one that will be on my office set with the same settings as the one that is on the remote side mac adresses and ips should not be different than the way it was when it was working.

Please anyone that is familiar with Winbox and the 500 series routerboads I really need some help my business deepends on it.
Thank You very much in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctcwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Re: point to point trouble

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:17 am

Any help would be appreciated alot if anyone would be able to check the settings with me I am willing to use a messenger service/phone/email please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctcwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:23 am

Oh yeah and when I click on the registration tab it doesnt have anything there.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 am

I could be wrong, but you might of answered your own question..

You said you have Dual N Streme check box on. how many antennas do you have? Dual N streme required 4 antenna's 1 for tx, the other for RX on each end of the link.

If in deed you are set up this way, then check the settings for which antenna is used for TX, and which is for RX.

If you are NOT using 4 antenna's, then you should NOT be using Dual NStreme setting.

I wonder why the link doesnt work from a settings perspective, if it was working it should work again, unless at the new location there is no LOS possibly. Potentially could of ESD'd (Static) the board/ mini pci card when it was taken down, and the antenna was disconnected. If its a R52H I had one die from something similar.

EDIT:
I re-read your post, it does say you were using 2 antennas on each end..... and I am assuming this new antenna has dual input? Not sure on the antenna, but you should still try to check the settings for which antenna is TX and RX. pretty sure this will appear when you click on the advanced tab on the WLAN interface.

ctcwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:17 am

Yes I do have 4 antennas well in this case they are in 2 boxes and i have 1 tx on 5000 and the rx on 5300 on the feed antenna and on the other (remote) one it is set as the same.
I tried it with the check box checked for nstream under wireless then nstream tab.
I can now pass bandwidth to each other but when i have them linked and do a scan it doesnt come up with anything .
I also have this other board that I am trying to setup and the guy who set it up to begin with doesnt work here anymore.
I cannot get into it can you possibly tell me an easy way of flashing it or something so I can use it as another link with its mate ( which I can get into the other one )?
Thank you very much for answering me in my time of need with this problem.
ReachBroadBand

ctcwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:32 am

I know it would be easier to use just a single antenna and a single radio for both tx and rx but I really have to have full duplex so to be more clear after reading my own post...lol
I am using (2) 500 mikrotik router boards with (4) antennas but the antennas aren't separate they have both horizontal and vertical in each box so I am trying to use full duplex by using freq 5300 to recieve on and 5000 to transmit on.
I hope this explains it a bit better.
I have made an nstream link with the remote mac of the other one set in the settings.
I do this to both radios but it wont show up when I do a scan.
On the log in of Winbox I hit the drop down tab and it will give me both radios to choose from so I know they see each other.
Thanks again

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:47 am

Dual Nstream is pretty difficult setup for a newbie learning Mikrotik.
So you might want to break it down into two radio links to work out the kinks before going back to dual N-Stream.

Also, keep in mind that most of us do not use dual nstream in our networks so you are asking advice from a rare group on this forum if you are looking for those experienced with dual nstream.

On top of that, the frequencies that you are using require the superchannel license (custom frequencies) and are not used by a large group of us. 5000 MHz is not legal in the USA where we operate.

I do know from my experience with the custom frequencies, that you need to set up a scan list to match the frequency range that you are running in. Have you done that? I would put a check in the scan list check box and then select a range of 4960-5340. That will allow you to find access points (APs) that are broadcasting on anything in that range. Notice that I said APs. You won't find station radios aka subscriber units with a scan.

Good luck,

Tom

ctcwireless
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Thank You
I will try the scan list and as for the 5.8ghz it is an unlicensed freq that anyone can use we run most of our stuff on that freq mainly 5755 and 5835
I use a Skypilot Mesh Network which I am very familiar with.
I have got them to transfer data at 40 megs ps so far and I am completely happy with that but now that they are out I guess I have a darned bulding in the way so now I have to add another p2p just to get out to the point I was originally setting up.
I would like to Thank You very much for your help in this matter.