saido
just joined
Topic Author

"Basic" setup problem - SOLVED

Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Happen with both v.2.9.29 and v.3.14

Setup router per http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/How_to_Co ... _xDSL_Line
pppoe-out1 - connects

I can tracert, ping, and even pcAnywhere thru the router but can not surf.

Actually, I can get to Google and Search, but this is the only site I can get to.

All Recomendations welcome as I have been working on this for three days.

Thanks.
Last edited by saido on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: "Basic" setup problem

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Sounds like a dns challenge. Can you ping by domain name?
ping www.google.com
or
ping www.yahoo.com

saido
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Yes, No Problem.

I have DNS setup via the DHCP-Server, tried setup thru ip/dns settings, and have had the dns set manually in the workstation to the router ip and then to the external DNS Servers and even tried the ISP's DNS servers.

I can ping everything, even tracert.

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am

As SurferTim says, certainly does sound like a DNS bugger-up. If you can get to google.com but no further then I can't see then I can't see how any setting on the router would influence this.

So it's either corrupt DNS or an upstream proxy server that is messing you around. Talk to your ISP about both these potential issues.

Make sure you disable any proxy settings settings on the router to be on the safe side.

You say you can ping 'www.google.com' but not surf it? This theoretically rules out DNS then and more to some upstream proxy server.

BTW, why are you still on 2.9.29?

saido
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm

I can ping to www.google.com, I get the DNS look up response, and get 0% loss of pings.

I can surf to www.google.com and get a page displayed.

I can search on google and display a response.

I can NOT go to any other website, either by clicking on the google result or directly typing it into the address bar.

I can nslookup any address I want and I get a response.

I can tracert to any www.domain.tld and get good responses.

I can even remotely log into a machine at work with PC Anywhere just fine.

I am using 2.9.29 and 3.14 because I had previously downloaded them and the machines I am using will boot to them. I tried downloading the current and then many previous iso's but they will not boot/install to the machines ( I have tried 4 different machines ).

It seems to me to that only port 80 is blocked but I have no firewall rules at all. (There is the masquerade rule in place and the pppoe is creating a dynamic mangle rule)

Thanks

saido
just joined
Topic Author

Re: "Basic" setup problem - SOLVED

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Problem solved by adding the mangle rule with MTU set to 1300.

In 3.14 the pppoe-client added two mangle rules dynamically but this did not solve the problem. I had to add the static rule, then everything started working.

In 2.9.5 the pppoe-client added one mangle rule dynamically but this did not solve the problem. I had to also add the static rule and everything started working.

In 2.9.27 the pppoe-client did not add a dynamic mangle rule. I had tried to add it but I was using MTU sizes of 1480 and 1460, which failed. Upon adding the rule with MTU at 1300, everthing started working.

I don't know why the google.com page worked but mangle at 1300 is the fix for the rest of the sites.

Hopefully I can get an ISO of 3.22 that will boot and upgrade these machines but so far no luck.

Thanks to all who tried to help.