Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lonecrow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Queues / Shaping For Dummies

Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm

There is good documentation for Mikrotik and a lot of people have put their own time into this. But I find what we lack is some real basic stuff to help people getting started with Mikrotik. For the most part I understand the basics of subnetting, firewalls and TCPIP but most of the docs jump right in full speed without explaining most of it.

Anyone know if there are some well written docs that help people from scratch set up things? I know tiktube is getting going and there are some youtubes to help.

It is just that I've poured over so many examples and documents that all tell you how to do things but don't explain the basics before that.

For example Queues

I'm just testing setting up queues on a wireless backhaul to limit certain types of traffic. I know I can mark different packet types. So I tried setting up a queue for nntp to limit the total nntp traffic on port 119 to 2M. Then I also wanted to limit p2p traffic to 3M. I know there are different ways of doing this but I am just experimenting and learning. I don't want to enter any source IP's etc so I've left them blank. Since we have many different subnets in use across this backhaul.

I "think" you need to mark both the packet and the connection but nobody explains why or how and what the requirements are. I made the connection mark and then the packet mark as explained in this document. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/TransparentTrafficShaper. I also did so for the p2p traffic. Then I added two simple queues using those marks and limited them. But I didn't do the "other" traffic just to see if it worked. It would shape ALL the traffic to the first rule it seemed.

My question is if you mark packets of varying sorts do you have to mark all the rest of the traffic?

Like what are the requirements to do queues? What is the difference between a queue tree and a simple queue? Can't you just mark specific types of packets on specific ports and protocols and only specifically shape those?

I guess I just need a really simple queue's for dummies document. Can someone please point me to one?

Lonecrow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Queues / Shaping For Dummies

Tue May 05, 2009 4:44 pm

For example I just want to limit nntp and p2p. Here are the ip firewall mangle rules

/ip firewall mangle> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
0 X chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=nntp_conn passthrough=yes dst-port=119 protocol=tcp
1 X chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=nntp passthrough=no connection-mark=nntp_conn
2 X chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=p2p_conn passthrough=yes p2p=all-p2p
3 X chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=p2p passthrough=no connection-mark=p2p_conn

Here are the queues

/queue simple> print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
0 X name="NNTP" dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 interface=all parent=none packet-marks=nntp direction=none priority=8 queue=default-small/default-small limit-at=0/0
max-limit=1000000/1000000 burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s total-queue=default-small

1 X name="Peer to Peer Traffic" dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 interface=all parent=none packet-marks=p2p direction=both priority=8 queue=default-small/default-small limit-at=0/0
max-limit=2000000/2000000 burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s total-queue=default-small

What I notice happening is that ALL traffic is getting limited...