Community discussions

MikroTik App

m9ice
just joined
Topic Author

Virus is eating up my bandwidth on winxp computer

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:25 am

I use mikrotik router OS as my internet server on my LAN, with this, i'm able to monitor individual network traffic on the mikrotik queue list. Recently, i observed that almost all the systems on the network try to exceed their assigned bandwidth even when they are not being used for browsing. This is really slowing down the entire network. I had a feeling that, there was a virus on my network, so i reformatted all the computers and installed avast anti-virus. After some days, the problem started again, a friend of mine advice me to install kaspersky, which i did in some of the computers. After the installation, kaspersky often complain about a network attack from several computers on the network. All efforts made to track and remove the virus from the network, prove abortive. Worst still, avast or avira don't see any virus on the network. Now, i'm so confused, and i don't know what else to do. Please i need your help. Thanks in advance.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Virus is eating up my bandwidth on winxp computer

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 pm

------
Hello friend, and welcome to our forum...

viruses or anything like that, and it will encrease with high technology to infect any user,.... and
nice to hear about it,...but maybe this link will nice to read, and we are always keep any resources will handshaking to each other over wire or unwire system....:wink: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&p=109060

regards
Hasbullah.com
-----

m9ice
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks for your reply.
But sir, i don't seems to understand much about the link you gave me.
Please what is responsible for the problem i have highlighted. And what can i do to remedy it
Once again, thanks for the input.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 pm

If not already done - then you need to set up your firewall so that all connection initiated from the WAN side is dropped. Otherwise your users on your lan is not protected from attacks from the outside.

rgs Pilgrim

m9ice
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please can you tell me how i can go about doing that. I'm not new to this and morever everything i understand about it is through the winbox gui interface.
I will really appreciate if you can tell me how i can go about it.
Thanks.