Community discussions

MikroTik App

drnitinarora
Topic Author

Problem with DSL

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Dear All!!

Hello! I am very new to networking and wanted to set up a small hotspot in my campus.
I have a DSL connection(Nokia DSL Modem with single LAN port)(DHCP enabled 192.168.1.1) --------Mikrotik411(eth1=192.126.126.24/24, wlan1=11.126.126.24/24, mode=ap bridge) eth and wlan ports are bridged. Wlan connected to Omni for outdoor coverage. MT has WPA-PSK enabled.

When I connect using laptops, everything works well.

Now, there are some dark areas where I do not get signals. so I am trying to Connect TP-Link WA501 in client mode to MT,it gets connected. They system on lan is able to connect to the gateway(DSL Modem) can ping 192.168.1.1 but not able to browse internet. Further if I add another TP Link in AP which is connected to the 1st one(in client mode connected to MT), it does nt work.

Please If I can get any help on this.

I am a beginner, and still into learning phase.

Thanks and regards,
Dr. Nitin Arora
Dehradun
India

drnitinarora
Topic Author

One more issue

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Dear All,

I am still trying to find out where the problem lies.
TO add up : TP Link is getting connected(in client mode) to WLAN and is showing good signal strength, but internet is not working.

Now if i set the address of TPLINK as"dynamic (obtain from DHCP)" everything goes ok. I am able to browse. BUT WHY IS THIS PROBLEM THERE I am not able to understand.

If I set the address to dynamic, I cannot log into tPLINK.

Can anyone please help??

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Problem with DSL

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:05 pm

I am trying to understand how your network is connect and how you want the Mikrotik to work.

What routerboard do you have 411, 433 .....?

Have you connected ether1 to your nokia router/modem.

Do you want your mikrotik just to act as a secure AP for your clients or a hotspot (where they will have to login, accounting)?

I never set up a hotspot, but if you just want to set up an Access point, then I can help you.

rgs Pilgrim

PS. Try to check these

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/How_to_ma ... ot_gateway

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Mana ... ot_Example

drnitinarora
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Hello Pilgrim!!
Thanks for your reply!!

I have mt 411 and yup the ethr1 connected to modem well. I can use it properly on laptops but the problem begins when i need to connect to client device(in this case tplink)

I want to give free internet to our students but at the same time also want to have a check on them so that they do not unnecessarily utilize the valuable resources. Yes I would like to setup a secured AP along with a hotspot.

I have gone through the documents already and many more of them, The problem is the DSL connection itself provides a dynamic ip via dhcp.

Really need help, if you could.

Thanks once again.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:01 am

Currently your Nokia both act as as modem and router. Your Nokia connects to the DSL connection and provides the NAT and DHCP server to the LAN side.

You can keep it this way and then simply set up your 411 as an AP. That will get you going so that your students can access the internet and also the TP Link. The TP link must be set up with a DHCP client connect, as the IP will be provided by the Nokia router and forwarded through the bridge in the Mikrotik.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35266

If you want the mikrotik to do the routing, NAT and DHCP server, then you should setup your Nokia in a bridge mode and let the mikrotik ether1 make the connection to your sevice provider (probably a PPPOE connection). But then you don't have any port where you can connect a switch and thereby provide cable connections to your lan. If you keep the Nokia as modem and router then you can insert a setich between the Nokia and the Mikrotik and have extra lan ports.

rgs Pilgrim

drnitinarora
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 am

Dear Pilgrim,
Thanks for the valuable piece of information.

Now A Scenario:

Nokia Modem------>MT 411(AP-Bridge) WPA Enabled---->TP-link(1)(In client Mode-Address=from DHCP )--->TP-link(2) on ethernet, WPA enabled(Set as AP for Increasing wireless range indoors, Has static Ip and works fine)------->Now if I connect another TP-link(3)(in client mode to receive from (2)) will it work?

I am not able to log into TPlink(1) as it has dynamic ip, If I resolve it through ARP and get the IP from IP table, then also no joys. How to Check this particular device or change certain configurations.

even MT cannot ping (1).
Whats your advice.

And how to give each student a username and password with predefined policies for usage.
Thanks!!

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:41 am

In mikrotik terms then your TP link2 should be in "station mode" but the terminology is different in the standard consumer products. Please let me know which TP link model you are using.

Is tp-link1 just bridging between the 411 and tp-link2 - or will students also connect to tp-link1?

rgs Pilgrim

PS. I think the priciple for your setup should be:

Setup ether1 with a dhcp client so it will connect to your nokia (like I said I am sure that your nokia currently operates as a modem and router)

in winbox "new terminal" run IP hotspot setup and just follow the on screen guided procedure to set your hotspot.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Hotspot

all other devices your TP-links should then just act a repeaters or bridges.

drnitinarora
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 pm

In mikrotik terms then your TP link2 should be in "station mode" but the terminology is different in the standard consumer products. Please let me know which TP link model you are using.
Dear Pilgrim! In Mt terms TPlink 1 is in "STATION MODE", TP 2 in "AP mode" TP 3 again in Station mode.

TP 1 only receiving from MT{AP Bridge} and none of the other devices connect to it{tp} on wireless. TP 1 connects to TP 2 on ethernet-----> TP 2 to TP 3 on wireless. other devices Client Laptops also connects to TP 2 on wireless and are running fine.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:08 am

Hi drnitinarora, you were too modest in your intro in the first post. I thought you were new to this and it turns out you have a lot more experience then me :-) I better move a bit a side here so someone more experienced then me can help you. I think you have already tried all the suggestions I would be able to come up with.

Just a final remark. I am pretty sure that the right mode for TP2 and TP3 should be a brigde (point to point) mode. Seems right that the TP1 must be client mode = station.

rgs Pilgrim

drnitinarora
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Dear Pilgim!! Thank you for all your support. But y do you think so. At some times one should never hesitate to seek help when stuck.

I have not been working with ADSL and this was my first case. I do not belong to networking field. I am a dentist. So whatever I try, you will always have an edge over me.

Regards,
Nitin

drnitinarora
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Hey pilgrim, I had seen your post also regarding the problem with browsing.

Its a valuable piece.

I am still learning about firewall and NAT. Dont have any idea about Mangle. I am only using MTs for my various offices and campuses. so all these issues are still to be dealt with. Kindly suggest some good readings about the same.

Regards,
Nitin

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks drnitinarora,

I think the key to succes with mangling/HTB/QoS is to fully understand the packet flow in the mikrotik router.

This video helped me a lot.

http://www.tiktube.com/?video=214
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/HTB
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Packet_Flow

But, even in small network like mine, it is very easy to loose the overview and start making mistakes and I think it is a good investment making a diagram like attached to outline exactly what you want to achieve.

For firewall, I got a lot of help from these:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Securing_your_router
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Securing_your_router

rgs Pilgrim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.