MikroTik App

DannyZ
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Real IP for client.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi.

Will it improve my latency if i will have my own external IP? Now there is above 30 clients on same external IP. As i know, likelihood there is IPIP option so set CPE with own external IP over transparent link. scheme i'm connected to world :))Image

bellis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Real IP for client.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:22 pm

if you are a WISP, charging customers for internet (especially in the US) you definately need to have a public IP for each customer. There are a long list of reasons why, but to answer your question, yes, it should, as you are routing traffic rather than nat-ing it.

Other things to consider mainly revolve around legalities, i.e. you are responsible for all traffic on your public IP, so if your customers are doing anything illegal (i.e. blackmarket music, movies, etc.) you can be held responsible, whereas if they have their own public then you can pass the blame to them.

secondly, if your customers waht to have webservers, gaming, etc. you should be able to provide a public ip to them so that they can manage their own port forwarding, etc.

with 30 customers, a /26 block would give you 64 public ip's, and would cover you now and with some small expansion. blocks are cheap, and if continuous easier to manage, so if you expect to expand, go ahead and get a big enough block to cover expected expansion fo a couple years

DannyZ
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Real IP for client.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Nop, im just home user + im sharing my network with neighbors. AP im connected are owned by state and it free of charge, only AP admin was not sure, will it help discrase my Latency. Now i have approx. 100ms to abroad countries and 15-20ms to local (Latvia servers). AP has 1 external IP, and all users connected to it use one IP. I wanna to get my own real IP.