Community discussions

MikroTik App

saintokey
just joined
Topic Author

HELP: My Microtik router is not working & acting strangely

Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 pm

We installed a mikrotik radio (IP Address 192.168.3.2) on approx 30 meter high metal Mast. This radio functions as a repeater, communicating with the main base station (192.168.3.1) located some 400m away with clear line of sight, on WDS mode. it worked for about 3 weeks and suddenly stopped communicating with the base station. My engineer brought it down, reset and reconfigured it and we tested it again on the ground at a point where we got good line of sight, just beside the mast. it worked well and communicated properly on the ground with the main station, but when we mounted it on the mast again, it worked for few seconds and could no longer communicate with base station. The site engr logged into winbox of the 'faulty' radio and this info kept recurring on the log, while trying to communicate with the main. " Wants WDS, etensive data loss.". The engr suspects the problem is because the mast on which the faulty radio was mounted was not earthed. Could this be the cause? what would u advise. pls explain in simple language because am a beginner in this field. (N.b there are 4 mikrotik radio configured in the network in star topology: the main and other three . but the main station can now only 'see' two stations instead of three, bcos 192.168.3.2 is faulty)

eneimi

Re: HELP: My Microtik router is not working & acting strangely

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:29 pm

You have a clear line of sight, okay, but what's the signal strength on this repeater? What's the noise floor? 'Extensive data loss' is just what it says. You could be having interference from the environment or perhaps more likely, your mini-pci radio is busted. Check that your frequency band is relatively free and that you have good signals and acceptable noise. Have you tried another radio?

marioclep
Trainer
Trainer

Re: HELP: My Microtik router is not working & acting strangely

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:35 am

We installed a mikrotik radio (IP Address 192.168.3.2) on approx 30 meter high metal Mast. This radio functions as a repeater, communicating with the main base station (192.168.3.1) located some 400m away with clear line of sight, on WDS mode. it worked for about 3 weeks and suddenly stopped communicating with the base station. My engineer brought it down, reset and reconfigured it and we tested it again on the ground at a point where we got good line of sight, just beside the mast. it worked well and communicated properly on the ground with the main station, but when we mounted it on the mast again, it worked for few seconds and could no longer communicate with base station. The site engr logged into winbox of the 'faulty' radio and this info kept recurring on the log, while trying to communicate with the main. " Wants WDS, etensive data loss.". The engr suspects the problem is because the mast on which the faulty radio was mounted was not earthed. Could this be the cause? what would u advise. pls explain in simple language because am a beginner in this field. (N.b there are 4 mikrotik radio configured in the network in star topology: the main and other three . but the main station can now only 'see' two stations instead of three, bcos 192.168.3.2 is faulty)
Try installing it in the midle of the mast, ie at 15mts. In some ocations, interference, fresnell and so on improve in less height.