Community discussions

MikroTik App

rico29
just joined
Topic Author

RB450G switched ports

Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi,
First, excuse me for my not perfect English, I'm not native english-speaking.
I'm currently discovering RouterOS, and have many questions to ask.

First, I've seen that, qith default configuration, ports eth2->5 are switched (switch1). I've tried to remove ports on that switch but I get the following message : "Couldn't remove Switch port etherX, feature is not implemented (3) ". I can't also remove the switch itself.

The aim of my config is to make a 3 ports switch (ether 3-4-5), a PPPoE client on eth2 and an a gateway on eth1.

Because I couldn't remove switch ports, I put 'switch-all-ports=no' for switch1, and made ether3 and ether4 slaves of ether5. My Dhcp server Is running on ether5, and it only gives addresses to hosts connected on ether 5. I want it to give addresses to hosts connected to ether4 and ether3 too. Is there a way to do that, except adding a dhcp relay on ether3&4 ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rico

dog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB450G switched ports

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:14 am

Don't worry too much about the switch-Feature for now.
What you are looking for is called "Master Port" and is located under interfaces.
For example to create a switch between ports 3,4,5 you change the master port of ether4 and ether5 to ether3 and set the master port of ether3 to none - thats it.
This ports will then show up with an S in front of them (for "slave").

Using this feature the slave ports will also no longer be configurable, because they won't go through the CPU but the switch chip.
All configuration has to be applied to the master port (ether3 in this case).

Best regards

Max

rico29
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 am

OK, thanks for you reply. I've already done it, but DHCP server only runs on master port. I have to put a DHCP relay on ports 3 and 4 if I want a peer to be able to get an address on them. Is it normal ?

Thanks
Rico

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:19 am

First, I've seen that, qith default configuration, ports eth2->5 are switched (switch1). I've tried to remove ports on that switch but I get the following message : "Couldn't remove Switch port etherX, feature is not implemented (3) ". I can't also remove the switch itself.
"/interface ethernet switch ports" show you what ports do you have for your switch chips and also allows you to set "vlan-mode" for each of them. No entries should be removed from here (this is a bug when you see "+" and "-", that will be fixed in next version). To switch ethernet ports together you have to use "/interface ethernet set x master-port=y" as suggested earlier.

About you problem with DHCP-server I do not think it is normal. Do:
/interface ethernet export
and also
/interface ethernet switch host print
And paste it here. Maybe there is some misconfiguration.

rico29
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am

I've just solve my problem. I don't know why, but I removed the dhcp relay on eth3 and it worked fine.

Thanks !
Rico