Community discussions

MikroTik App

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

two ADSL lines best router

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:07 pm

I have hotspot user accounts and I want to have two ADSL lines (10Mbps each) and one LAN.

Is it better to buy Routers that come with two WAN or do a setting for Mikrotik?

if Mikrotik is better, What is the best code that work with Hotspot with no problem?

Note: I am using RouterOS v4.2 Lv4

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: two ADSL lines best router

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 pm

to the top

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:26 pm

PCC works well, see the Wiki. For Hotspots to work right you'll have to add rules to capture not just forwarded traffic, but also new traffic originated from the router since Hotspots always transparently proxy DNS (and possibly HTTP?).

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:44 pm

PCC works well, see the Wiki. For Hotspots to work right you'll have to add rules to capture not just forwarded traffic, but also new traffic originated from the router since Hotspots always transparently proxy DNS (and possibly HTTP?).
1- Is the blance with Microtik is better than dual WAN router like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-RV082-8-por ... 48382c783c
Then connect this router's LAN to Mikrotik.

2- if it is not better, It would be helpful to put the latest code that work with RouterOS v4.2 for Hotspot user accounts:
Two WAN and one LAN. The LAN will have about 80 Hotspot users

3- will MIlrotik RB450 be enough for this

Note:
-One of the DSL line are coming from farther distance(a house near by)

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:46 pm

waiting for replys

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:07 pm

/ip address
add address=1.1.1.2/24 disabled=no interface=outside1
add address=1.1.2.2/24 disabled=no interface=outside2
add address=10.0.0.1/24 disabled=no interface=hotspot

/ip firewall address-list
add address=10.0.0.0/24 disabled=no list=Local_NAT_Networks

/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=input connection-state=new disabled=no in-interface=outside1 new-connection-mark=outside1_connection passthrough=yes
add action=mark-connection chain=input connection-state=new disabled=no in-interface=outside2 new-connection-mark=outside2_connection passthrough=yes
add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=outside1_connection disabled=no new-routing-mark=to_outside1 passthrough=yes
add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=outside2_connection disabled=no new-routing-mark=to_outside2 passthrough=yes
add action=accept chain=prerouting disabled=no dst-address=1.1.1.0/24 src-address-list=Local_NAT_Networks
add action=accept chain=prerouting disabled=no dst-address=1.1.2.0/24 src-address-list=Local_NAT_Networks
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-state=new disabled=no dst-address-type=!local hotspot=auth new-connection-mark=outside1_connection passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=src-address:2/0 src-address-list=Local_NAT_Networks
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-state=new disabled=no dst-address-type=!local hotspot=auth new-connection-mark=outside2_connection passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=src-address:2/1 src-address-list=Local_NAT_Networks
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=outside1_connection disabled=no new-routing-mark=to_outside1 passthrough=yes src-address-list=Local_NAT_Networks
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=outside2_connection disabled=no new-routing-mark=to_outside2 passthrough=yes src-address-list=Local_NAT_Networks

/ip route
add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=1.1.1.1 routing-mark=to_outside1 scope=30 target-scope=10
add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=1.1.2.1 routing-mark=to_outside2 scope=30 target-scope=10
add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=5 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=1.1.1.1 scope=30 target-scope=10
add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=10 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=1.1.2.1 scope=30 target-scope=10
Does this code work with privaye IPs for outside1 and outside 2.
Does all these lines works with routerOs v4.2 Lv4?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 am

I would go for factory made dual wan router. I tried several times to make MT do this and failed.

I do not say MT cannot do it, or that problem is not my lack of knowledge (although I have years of experience with MT), but that setting is to compicated and very sensitive to other configuration of MT.

If you want to do this with Mikrotik, it would be good idea to separate one that would to just that two WAN connection and nothing else, and other one to do other networking stuff.

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 pm

I would go for factory made dual wan router. I tried several times to make MT do this and failed.

I do not say MT cannot do it, or that problem is not my lack of knowledge (although I have years of experience with MT), but that setting is to compicated and very sensitive to other configuration of MT.

If you want to do this with Mikrotik, it would be good idea to separate one that would to just that two WAN connection and nothing else, and other one to do other networking stuff.
Do you know a cheap and good dual WAN router?

namo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm