MikroTik App

zahiy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Urgentlly!! 20 clients CPE's slow internet connection

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Hello, I have this map:

[10Mb/s ADSL SIEMENS MODEM] -----600m-wlan-----> [Router (here I get 10Mb/s)] <_---_lan____> RB433 <wlan> [20 CPE's] (1-2KM)

the rate starts at 300KB/s but finish at 80KB/s max!

most of the CPEs get 70-80% signal, in the RB433AH (main wireless ISP router) all my clients are between -50 to -60dbm

why my clients dont get good internet speed?

my wireless configuration: all defualt but TX power all rates 25 (noise floor: -104dBm what does this mean?)

gmidia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Urgentlly!! 20 clients CPE's slow internet connection

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:53 pm

what is the throughput between the adsl modem and the router, for good speeds i guess the clients should get between -45 to -55 dbm . have you done a frequency scan it could be interference. which cpe's are you using? are you using an omni antenna or sectorial antenna. which radio cards are you using in the mikrotik?

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 pm

for good speeds i guess the clients should get between -45 to -55 dbm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-65 -> 65mbps
-73 -> 75mbps
two of my links.

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:52 pm

why my clients dont get good internet speed?
Hi, just a quick question but where is the speed dropping? You haven't run enough tests to be clear where the problem actually is.

For example, if you were to connect via a CPE to a LAN based device and you still only get 80Kbps transfer you will know the problem is with your wireless connections, however if you get a much higher speed from LAN to CPE then you know that that isn't the problem. If your network speed is good then it would point towards a router not handling the internet connection, if the network speed is bad then it's the CPE's.

** Edited as I slightly misread your post! **

zahiy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:17 am

Well,

I have tested the RB433AH input (ether0) and I got 10MB/s all the time, which means that the internet connection is fine entering the router, the output is giving me a slower rate even if I connect with my laptop close to it (200-300Kb/s).

I am using:
- 2 wireless 14dbi sector antenna
- 1 signal divider (one input two output)
- RouterBoard R5N miniPCI

- Airlive WH-5420CPE http://www.airlive.com/product/product_ ... 6627944978

today I got a strange result it may help to understand what is happening, I have this clients, he is very far where I get only 40% signal (weak comparing to others) but much faster internet than the others! , JJOliver998, how can I test the connection between the RouterBoard and the CPE? I can install an http server are the routerboard and test, is there any easier solution?

zahiy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 am

by the way, clients connect through PPPoE. :)

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:03 am

I don't know anything about PPPoe connections so I can't help with that.

I think you said that;

Isp ----> modem ----> RouterBoard WAN ----> CPE's
10mb/s----10mb/s-----------10mb/s--------300kb/s

You said when you connect your laptop 'close' to the RouterBoard you got 300kb/s? I'm not sure what you mean by this, however if your Routerboard is getting 10mb/s on ether0, and when you connect your laptop to ether1 you are getting only 300kb/s you have to see that the problem is specifically with the routerboard and or it's configuration.

If you plug your laptop in to ether1 of the routerboard and are able to get the full 10mb/s then the routerboard is routing 10mb/s from WAN to LAN and thus the speed bottle neck is in the way wireless connection is(n't) working.

(Routerboard at fault)
ISP ------> RB WAN ------> RB LAN
----10mb/s--------300kb/s

(Wireless connection or configuration at fault, full 10mb/s is routed via RB WAN -> LAN but speed is lost LAN->LAN or LAN->WLAN or WLAN->CPE)
ISP ------> RB WAN ------> RB LAN --------> WIFI AP WLAN -------> CPE's
---10mb/s---------10mb/s---------10mb/s---------------300kb/s

(Key = WAN wide area network (internet), LAN wired local network, WLAN Wireless local network)

The way I test is working at network level first via utilising LAN based HTTP/FTP server speed tests to test WLAN speeds and LAN speeds prior to testing WAN speeds, this tests that the components on the LAN / WLAN are capable of speeds greater or equal to the WAN speeds if/when they are tested.

In this case, identifying exactly where the speed is slowed down is the first step in fixing the problem. Test to find where it is that you speed is dropping, then you'll know what specifically isn't working. When you know that the answer is just one question away!!!

Hope that helps.

zahiy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:33 am

thanks JJOliver998,

by connecting my laptop close to the Router I mean wirelessly to make sure the link between the RB433 and the CPE is okay. now here are my tests:

- I tried to download a 14MB file from mikrotik's storage disk through FTP, I get almost 5Mb/s, not 54Mb/s but enough.
- while downloading any file, it starts to download at high rate but in seconds it gets down to200-300KB/s
- when I watch the link rate on WinBox, when not downloading anything it shows: 11Mbps-SP/54Mbps however when I start downloading it the download link gets slower down to 1Mbps-SP/54Mbps !! why?!?! this is by downloading from the internet, if I use ftp local download it stays the same 11Mbps-SP/54Mbps!! how could that happen? I don't have any king of queue configured.

how can I print the configuration so I can post it here?

zahiy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:41 am

last conclusion, INTERNET to RB-WAN is OKAY , RB-WAN to CPE is OKAY , INTERNET to CPE is NOT OKAY!! something wrong with the R433 although it is very new!

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:49 am

Zahiy I'm glad you have identified the problem now, I enjoy the trouble shooting stage of identify the problem!

If you don't have any queues then I have absolutely no idea. I'm very sorry but I'm unable to help any further as I don't know what may cause this problem. Sorry :(

Hope you get this sorted soon!

zahiy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:06 pm

JJOliver998 you've helped a lot, let me work more on it, if I solve it I will post it here, thanks!!

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:07 pm

NP Have a great holiday!

bitwise

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:51 pm

I did a search because we are having similar problem as I was reading your post I noticed the similarities. We have pppoe setup with a backhaul of 5MB and we noticed one customer with a lower link quality farther away was able to run a speedtest and get the full 5MB speed but clients closer couldn't pull anymore then 1MB to sometimes 1.5MB even when traffic was low. I tried to see if the configuration of the CPE was different and didn't notice anything however we did change the MTU to 1592 on Wireless card of CPE but left the pppoe MTU to 1492 and noticed some change. To this day we still can't figure out the problem all the equipment we run is Mikrotik AP's and CPE's. I don't know if you've solved this or not I can see it's an older post but if you do please reply. I would like to have someone to discuss the issue with.

Note: If your using Mikrotik try using the Bandwidth Test or Ping Speed in routerboard to check throughput between local and remote paths it works good.

Thanks.
Brian
Bitwise Connection, LLC
www.bitwiseconnection.com

JJOliver998
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Brian.

I'm unsure if we solved the problem, as he didn't come back I'm assuming he did.

I suggest that you create a new thread (ignore this if you have!) and give as much detail as to the problem as possible, including sustained upload and download speeds cross network as well as across networks, this can highlight where the problem(s) are.

Warmly

Josh Oliver.