Community discussions

MikroTik App

tmcarter
just joined
Topic Author

3.28 to 4.4

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:37 am

I have RB 450 that I upgraded to 4.4 from 3.28; I received the new key and all has been fine; with no problems. at the 72 Hour mark today; the router shutdown and has become inaccessable. I have to travel 4 hours tomorrow to fix this problem. Any suggestions... Thank god I had a backup of the image post upgrade; so I can just restore. I'm taking a replacement RB450 withme just in case....

i will post the console screen once I can login; if I can login.. But the router stopped precisly @ the 72 hour mark. Quite puzzling..

guille4
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 3.28 to 4.4

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:43 pm

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 am

You will need to Netinstall it, and make sure to apply a license then.

A word of warning - never leave router after upgrade, make sure to log in and check if system license menu doesn't have any surprises, especially if doing a major upgrade from v3 to v4

tmcarter
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 pm

That was the strange part about this upgrade... I did just that... I logged in checked and rechecked everything and made certain there were no warnings or anomolies... verified all the package version levels and bootloader; as well as the license levels and there was NO countdown timer present...

I now see there are others that are reporting similar incidents as well. I have packaged the case with supout.rif files and submitted them to support.

They came back this AM and said everything appears to be 100% valid and correct; and there must be a hardware problem if it happens again... Kinda strange it played for not quite a year without even as much as a missed packet...and now indicators are pointing to bad hardware..??? kinda ominious... don't you think? I may give a little more credence to the hardware case if the router had not stopped precisly at the 72 hour mark of the upgrade.

That is the tale tale sign to me this could be a undiscovered bug and not a hardware problem...

At this point I will just have to wait another 72 hours and see what happens...
You will need to Netinstall it, and make sure to apply a license then.

A word of warning - never leave router after upgrade, make sure to log in and check if system license menu doesn't have any surprises, especially if doing a major upgrade from v3 to v4

cololine
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Same thing just happened to me on an RB1000 going from 3.30 to 4.6. Here's what I did:

1. updated the boot loader via command line

2. Uploaded the new 4.6 ppc firmware to the router an did a reboot

3. Logged back into winbox and was presented with a dialog box advising me that the license key needed an update, clicked OK to do it now, router rebooted

4. After reboot, confirmed license key up to date in System menu.

Despite all this, it shut itself off after 72 hours. I'll be sending this with a rif to support@mikrotik.com, but this router is in a live DC and this has me spooked. I can't have the dang thing going down every 3 days!

I'm wondering if maybe this is a procedural thing? I've noticed in the docs and instructions from Mikrotik, they say:

1. update boot loader;

2. update license;

3. update firmware;

What I did:

1. update boot loader;

2. update firmware;

3. update license;

I got confirmed success on all results and a MikroTik consultant had told me that reversing the last two steps would not matter, but maybe it does?

Ed