Community discussions

MikroTik App

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to feed internet to mikrotik board

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

i have set everything on my mikrotik board dhcp etc but how do i pump in my internet to the mikrotik board my internet releases dhcp aswell what can i do so that i can pump the internet in to the board ?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to feed internet to mikrotik board

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Plug your uplink into the router and - if I'm understanding you right - configure the DHCP client.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/DHCP_Client

j2sw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 am

DHCP client + Nat=good to go

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:00 am

i ment in winbox how do i configure eth port1 to recive dhcp and eth2 and 3 should relase the dhcp recived by eth1 so basically 1 will be the internet and 2-3 will b my ap's

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm

for the DHCP server: goto IP/pool to set up the rage of IP the DHCP server will pick the IP's from. The go to IP/DHCP server to set up the server - as for interface you must enter a bridge or your master interface for ether2 and 3.

for the DHCP client: Just go to IP/DHCP to set up the client and enter the name of the physical interface e.g. ether1. All depending on if you have not added the route manually you may want to make sure that add default route is checked. NB. If your internet connection is a PPPoE connection then it is a different story !!

rgs Pilgrim

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:07 pm

basically i want to make a temporary connection to test my netowrk my isp also uses mikrotik what i want to do is pump my isp's internet in to my mikrotik so basically i should login to my hotspot page and then i should login in to my isp hotspot page after that any1 one who logs on to the network should be able to browse ? is it possible and how i want to use eth1 as the internet pump port.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:30 pm

If you just want to pass through the IP addresses then you just put all three interfaces into a brigde. If your interface to your ISP is wireless then you just set up the connection and include this interface in the the brigde too.

What RB are you using and how is your set up? when you speak about connecting ether1 to the internet - does that mean a cable to another router where you normally connect your PC's? or does it mean that you normally connect your PC to a wireless hotspot and now you want to connect your mikrotik router instead.

rgs Pilgrim

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 pm

the cable is where the internet is coming from a anntenna i want to feed the internet direct into my mikrotik board on eth1 port 1 which is poe port and then i want my wlan 1 card and 2 to broadcast my hotspot when i logon to my hotspot i shuld go to my isp hotspot once i login to my isp hotspot every1 who log's on to my hotspot shuld be able to browse with that one internet ip address please explain how to do this on winbox

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:30 pm

I think I see what you wanna do.

But I am still a bit confused about your connection. is it like a standard household connection?

Your "hotspot" is probably a PPPoE connection (The POE you mentioned has nothing to do with this - POE just means power-over-ethernet i.e. just another way to power your mikrotik)

The PPPoE connection from your ISP probably only offer one, max two IP's, so if you want to be able to connect more PC's I suggest to set up your Mikrotik with a permant PPPoE connection (connecting ether1 to your ISP port) and that you set up a NAT and a DHCP server to Distribute IP's to the PC's you connect to your LAN (wlan1, ether2, ether3).

Let me know if this makes sense, then we can probably help you with some tip how to set it up.

What IP does your PC have when you connect directly to the hotspot? Please also check what your public IP is (http://www.whatsmyip.org).

Which Mikrotik router do you have?

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 am

yes your right but i power up my mikrotik through the power port 12volts i use the poe port to pump the net inn its a office use internet connection that i am getting from my isp my public ip is :41.190.95.233 and the dhcp i get from my isp is

i have made a dhcp and bridge it on all the ports and cards so right now if i logon to any of the ports or wifi cards i can get 192.168.1.254/24 onwords.

so ye how do i put my isp net on to the board so that when i get connected through wifi to my network i should first go to my hotspot page and login then it should take me to my isp's hotspot page i should login and then i am browsing on my isp;'s ip now any one reciving my ip for my mikrotik board and log's in to the system if he/she has a username and password should go stright to the net

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:15 am

so that when i get connected through wifi to my network i should first go to my hotspot page and login then it should take me to my isp's hotspot page i should login and then i am browsing on my isp;'s
I don't think it works this way. You can always setup a wireless security like mac filtering, WEP or WPA to avoid that anyone can connect to your network, but going through two hotspots to log on to the internet sounds strange to me. sorry, can't help you with that. Have you tried to talk with your ISP and explained what you want to do?

rgs Pilgrim

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:46 pm

i am bulding my own isp it was just to make a trial of the mikrotik board well i got more issues then just the net i bought two brand new sector anntennas now almost 2 weeks ago when i was trying the mikrotik when it was working fine before it blow up cause of high voltage from the power suppliers in malawi i could pick up over 100 networks when i scanned through the mikrotik board now i can only pick up 10 networks it seems the sectors are not working or the pigtales or coaxial cable or either the wifi cards how do i solve my issue when i broadcast both sectors i get

00:0C:42:26:3F:8A iConnect_1 WPA -80
00:0C:42:26:3A:3B iConnect_2 WPA -78

before i was getting -50 dbm on iconnect_1 and on iconnect_2 i was getting 70 dbm cause of iconnect 2 i had to keep removing the mikrotik board and coaxil cable to fix them but has made it worst how to i find out what the problem is from these items

mikrotik board or wifi cards
pigtale's
coaxil cable
or the sectors them self.

i tried using a nanostation as the radio on iconnect_1 and it did not broadcast at all atlist the mikrotik board broadcast at 80 dbm.

please help am stressed that my sectors might be burned i put alot of money in them.

what do i do ?

it seems like just the cards are broadcasting and not the sectors their like 30 meters away and 24 meters high of ground. and they giving singal in 70 dbm very bad

oh one more thing all my pigtales were broken i soldered them back on but when i test on both ends with contuity they show sum voltage

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Sorry to hear about all these problems. That seems to some serious hardware problems. I hope someone else on the board can give you some advice how to go about finding out the extend of the damage. I think you need to start a new thread and break down the questions one by one.

rgs Pilgrim

zain
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 am

thanks i will figure something out seems like no1 can get my prblem solved lol i will just use the mikrotik board as a os and use differnet radio's myt work