Community discussions

MikroTik App

nicomorgan
just joined
Topic Author

R52n setup advice for a Newbie please

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello

I've been given the job of testing a wireless setup but lack the training I'm afraid.

I have a 411 router board with an R52n attached, all connected to a 10dBi omni antenna (I have another antenna too but only one pigtail setup as I want to test the range and power of them separately if possible.

The pigtail is attached to J3 on the R52n.

I have upgrade the ROS on the board and licences etc. and have enabled the wirelesscard.

Can someone advise me on the correct combination of tx/rs chain settings for one antenna as this area completely confuses me.

Current settings:

General: wlan1, MTU:1500, ARP:enabled
Wireless: Mode:ap bridge, Band:5GHz-a/n, Freq:5180, SSID:5GHztest, Security:default, freq mode: manual txpower, country:UK, Antenna gain:10dBi, DFS Mode: none
HT: Tx Chains: 1, Rx Chains: 1, AMSDU limit 8192, threshold 8192, AMPDU priorities :0

tx Power mode is default.

The signal I am seeing is very weak, even close to the antenna. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

nicomorgan
just joined
Topic Author

Re: R52n setup advice for a Newbie please

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am

Any chance of some input from someone because my Mikrotik experience is not a happy one so far?

I've tried the other antenna and think I have tried most of the settings in one way or another. Can someone help me use the R52n to create a hotspot (don't worry about the IP and DNS stuff at the moment, I just want to get a nice strong wireless signal first).

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 pm

What tx-power you see then the card is enabled?
What signal you see on that wireless link?
What kind of equipment you are trying to connect?
Please contact the support@mikrotik.com with the support output file.

krakenant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Two things come to mind immediately.

1: Your antennas are not rated for 5ghz, I had this happen to me, it was very very frustrating until I realized I was the problem.
2: bad connectors/pigtails

nicomorgan
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Thank you both.

When I'm back in the office on Tuesday I will check these options.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:03 am

Wrong antenna, bad pigtail, or wrong chain selected. I cant remember which one J3 is.

nicomorgan
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 am

Thank you.

The antennae are these:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdo ... 5810on.htm

and

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdo ... 6015on.htm

(both were tried at various frequencies within the quoted ranges.

Chain selected was one while J3 was connected.

I'm guessing I should try changing the pigtail which I haven't tried yet. If not, I will change the wireless board

nicomorgan
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:02 pm

UPDATE

Many thanks for your ideas!

The pigtail was fine but I have begun to understand my problem.

What I am trying to do is use a RB411/R52n combination to setup a local hotspot. The problem is this: despite saying that the 52n covers the 802.11a spectrum it only in fact covers the lower band (5180-5320MHz) and the higher band (5745-5825MHz). I have been successful in setting up a local hotspot at the lower band using this equipment but as I need it to go between bulidings it is not an option as I shall explain.

In the UK, the high band, 5745-5825 MHz (Band C), is a licensed band which can only be used for the Installation of Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) services between stationary points. Band B (5470-5725 MHz) can be used licence free for indoor or outdoor links but the permitted power levels are much lower than those allowed in Band C. Band A is licence free and can be used for public and private mobile/nomadic Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN).

In fact Band A can only be used indoors here so it is useless for what I am trying to achieve and the higher band can only be used for ptp type connections. I need to utilise Band B but the R52n doesn't allow those frequencies. Which products do?

Can someone cast an eye over what I have written and confirm that this is correct?

Many thanks in advance.

jrecabeitia
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Nicomorgan note that modifying the parameter of country, change the frequency ranges you can use. I imagine that the opportunities given to UK may contain an error and therefore does not have the range you need

nicomorgan
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Thank you jrecabeitia that has revealed the middle band!

I was wrongly advised to leave the Country setting alone. I now know better.