Community discussions

MikroTik App

rockrock62
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP server problem, need urgent help please.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi All
i have mikrotik RB133 ,want to use it as station mode and connect to Thomson speedtouch wireless modem ip address 192.168.1.254 (distance 500 meters) to extend the range . after spending 2-3 hours discovering rb133 and reading the manual , i succeeded at connecting to the Thomson modem using my laptop and going online , browsing , downloading , it's all perfect . and this is the method i have used :
assign ip address 192.168.100.1 to ether1 , enable wireless wlan1 and scan for the wireless SSID then connect in station mode , create bridge1 , and bridge ports ether1 and wlan1 , then dhcp client for wlan1 . DNS remotely checked , firewall with nat enabled chain=srcnat action=masquerade, and i failed to get the internet until i have changed the mode to station pseudobridge clone .
Now, the problem that i have, when connecting the cable that comes from RB133 to the wan port at linksys wrt54GL ,not being able to use it as wireless access point and couldn't get dhcp ip address from the Thomson router,also i have added dhcp server like it is explained at the mikrotik doc examples , and also failed .
Can any of you Admin gentlemen guide me what i have to do to get ip from dhcp server .

crushing
just joined

Re: DHCP server problem, need urgent help please.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 am

Hi I am not an expert but.... I didn't see anything about a route in your setup. I too learned the hard way and have done this very thing.

I would set up the wireless, add bridge, add both the wlan1 and ether1 under the ports tab at the bridge, add IP address (192.168.1.xxx) to the bridge, add IP > Routes and leave the Destination 0.0.0.0/0 and make the Gateway (192.168.1.254) your routers address.

As far as the station pseudobridge clone I have had this same thing. Some equipment station WDS works, some the clone and some just in station mode. I think it is something with the equipment you are connecting to??? It will say connected to ess and running at the bottom of the wireless interface window but will not pass traffic???

One other thing I have had problems with is different wireless security settings on the equipment you are going to connect to. Try it with no security on at first. I have had some it looks connected but again no traffic???

Try this and let me know.

Chris

und3ath
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

do not use bridge when you are using station mode and masquerade....
Or you can you station-pseudobridge WITHOUT nat and then use bridge

rockrock62
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:04 pm

thank you Chris & und3ath for your replay
i have already added both the wlan1 and ether1 under the ports tab at the bridge......etc, and IP > Routes Destination 0.0.0.0/0 and make the Gateway (192.168.1.254) to my routers address , but it didn't work .
i have tried und3ath way too and it didn't work .
iam not expert too , and i have tried almost everything i read on the mikrotik documentation but it wasn't clear enough .
what is strange is that i can surf the net normally if i plugged the cable directly to my laptop and i get dhcp ip , but it never works when i plug it to the wan port of linksys router .
can you please post step by step how to connect to the Thomson st546 router , and this is the info you may need:
Thomson st546 DSL modem router , Gateway (192.168.1.254) , wpa authentication .
mine is RB133 one wireless card ,3 ether. attached to linksys wrt54GL .
i would appreciate any help .