Community discussions

MikroTik App

slahm
just joined
Topic Author

Multiple MACs / Telus

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:18 am

I am trying to use a RB433 to route 5 'static' IP addresses from Telus - of course, Telus does not use static addresses, they assign your 'static' IPs dynamically, via MAC address.

I can set up an interface to receive one DHCP assigment correctly, but need to get 5. Is this possible? Can I have the DHCP client pick up an address for more than the one MAC? How would I do it?

I could get three through the three ether interfaces, but that seems like a waste of ports.

Thanks in advance

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Multiple MACs / Telus

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 am

Hi,

it doesn't really make sense to have multiple DHCP addresses assigned to a single device - what prevents you from simply adding those IP addresses as static addresses on your router interface?

Cheers.

slahm
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Telus just refuses to allow static IPs - Period. - if there is not a request every 3 hours or so, it becomes inactive. I know, incredibly stupid, but, what can I do? That is the ISP. I switched from them before, for this reason, but the reliability of the other providers here is just not good enough.

I could buy four simple routers(CISCO etc) that get their address via DHCP, and DMZ them to static IPs on the interface, but there must be a better solution..... I am currently doing that for a PGP Universal server, as their server does not use DHCP - I just forward the traffic to the LAN IP.

Could this be done with a virtual ethernet interface? I cannot figure out how to configure it?

Thanks

meverest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 am

Hi,

So how do they know the MAC addresses? Do you need to nominate your MACs for them to bind in their dhcp server or something like that? What kind of customer network is that ayway? (i.e. wireless, or cable, or something else?)

I couldn't get it to work using virtual interfaces at all - the only way that I can work out to do it with routerOS is to put a small switch in there and connect up all ports of an RB/750 or similar with dhcp client on every port.

Cheers!

slahm
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 am

Yes, you register the MACs - they can be anything valid. This is DSL service, and when you connect, the DSL MODEM assigns a non-routable IP to your machine that resolves everything to their reg site - registerdevice.telus.net

Then you can click to register your PC/Router/Whatever is hooked up, or manually enter a MAC for another device.

Then upon refresh/reboot, the DSL MODEM delivers the 'Static' IP.

Fun eh?