Community discussions

MikroTik App

eagleeyes
Topic Author

Outdoor wireless AP connection

Sun May 09, 2010 10:14 pm

hello,
i am new to Mikrotik and this forum. i am just practicing and learning on RouterOS x86 (on PC) v3. Through MT wiki's, i manage to establish network with 2 NICs (can access Internet from internal network). Now, i want to connect my outdoor AP (not MT) to routerOS, so that i can connect wirelessly to internet. how to do that ? any help would be appreciable.

thanks,
Vick

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Outdoor wireless AP connection

Mon May 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Add wireless card to your router, set basic configuration,
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=supported_band frequency=allowed_frequency_in_your_country ssid=SSID

Wireless clients should find you wireless network by SSID.
Do not forget to add IP address to wireless interface, or you can add wireless interface to bridge with local Ethernet interface to share the same network between two interfaces.

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 am

I was going to do the same thing... but what's the point to create WLAN interface for external AP that router can't configure anyways? From router's perspective it's just another Ethernet device

eagleeyes
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 8:29 am

Add wireless card to your router, set basic configuration,
/interface wireless set wlan1 mode=ap-bridge band=supported_band frequency=allowed_frequency_in_your_country ssid=SSID
Thanks sergejs for you help, but i am very beginner to routerOS. which wireless card i have to add in router ?
i am using senao long range multi client bridge as my AP. i just connected its ethernet port to my pc based routeros LAN's ethernet port. but it didn't work. i tired to add wireless interface through winbox, but it gave me error; "Could not change interface <wlan1> - cannot attach virtual AP to virtual AP (6)", when i enter SSID. what i am doing wrong here.... :?
Wireless clients should find you wireless network by SSID.
Do not forget to add IP address to wireless interface, or you can add wireless interface to bridge with local Ethernet interface to share the same network between two interfaces.
how to bridge wireless interface with ethernet interface?
I able to connect internet when connected thru cable to my laptop from routerOS internal NIC. that is working fine, wonder if i am able to bridge wireless interface with this working internal NIC.
I was going to do the same thing... but what's the point to create WLAN interface for external AP that router can't configure anyways? From router's perspective it's just another Ethernet device
edmidor, same problem, router unable to find configuration of my AP. i have manually configure AP with static ip, gateway, dns. but router didnot recognize it.

Regards,
Vick

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Use command /interface wireless set or even better I would recommend to use Winbox. Download it from http://demo2.mt.lv or http://your_router, run Winbox and put IP address of your router. Connect to the router, you will get graphical interface.

Go to 'Wireless' menu and set the configuration I said in the previous post.

To bridge the interfaces,
go to menu 'Bridge' and click on + to add the bridge.
Go to ports to add Ether1 and WLAN1, these ports will be bridged.

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 am

Sergej, what is the right way to configure it with external AP connected to one of the Ether ports - i.e. not with a card in the router? Still WLAN interface, or just bridge with the ether port used by AP?

Also, if AP is to have its own subnet, should I put second DHCP server on that interface?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 12, 2010 8:47 am

If you want external AP to be on the same network with your wired client, then bridge both Ethernet interfaces.
Your local network interface + interface external AP is connected.