Community discussions

MikroTik App

ABeepMike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB493 simple Wan-lan setup needed.

Thu May 13, 2010 9:36 pm

I have a RB493 that I want to setup like a store bought router.

eth1 with my public IP 68.xx.xxx.xxx gateway 68.xx.xxx.1 Net 255.255.255.0

eth2 through 9 DHCP 192.168.17.100 - 192.168.17.200 to access the web through eth1 with the 68 addy. 192.168.17.1 gateway but where and how?

Wan-Lan simple??

I cannot get it to work.

I know I have to setup a bridge and routes and dhcp server and pool, but simply have beat myself up trying.

Please help me out.

BTW, are there simple templates (backup files) that you can get to make the simplest of setups?

ABeepMike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: RB493 simple Wan-lan setup needed.

Thu May 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Is it possible to make this like a linksys router bought from a store?

Wan on port 1

LAN DHCP on all other ports gateway'd to a single public address?

I can buy a router off the shelf that will doi this without much setup, i cannot get this to handout DHCP or get connectivity to the web.

I can make the public eth1 port active and hit it from the outside, but cannot get a DHCP Address on eth2-9. I would like it to dhcp an address to anything plugged in , and let browse the web via the eth1 address.

An off the shelf does this out of the box, I have wasted a lot of time with this. I gave up a month ago, but want to try again.

Sometimes the simplest setups are the most difficult for complicated pieces of equipment like this.

I can use Winbox or Webbox. Please help.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 14, 2010 12:02 am

For the WAN:
Got to /ip address and add your IP address that you want. I'm assuming your setup is a static IP and won't be pulling down a DHCP lease.
For the default gateway go to /ip routes and set up the default route.

For the Lan:
Make a bridge and assign Ether2-9 to it. Set up an IP that you want on the Bridge, and make the DHCP server on the bridge.
Go to /ip firewall nat and set up a masquerade rule.

The Wiki is your friend for explaining menus and options as well as examples...
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Category:Manual
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_RouterOS

ABeepMike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 8:29 pm

I will PayPal someone here for a RB493 backup file that will do what this link describes, as every time I try it I cannot get it to work.

ETH1 68.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 68.xxx.xxx.1 gateway, 68.xxx.xxx.0 network

This much I can get to work. Access from the web.

I need ETH2 - 9 to DHCP address's 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254 with access TO the web through ETH1 .

If a bridge or routes or nat is needed, I have not been able to make it work, through any interface webbox or Winbox, I have tried for days and days.

A simple WAN on eth1 with a single address to the world, with eth2-9 dhcp'ing laptops to the web. no restrictions,firewall rules ( I can add them later AFTER I have a working router.).

If this is so simple , can someone out there do it for me, I will paypal you a fee negotiated in advance. I simply cannot get this to work, and hjave wasted days and days trying to make this device work like an off the shelf linksys.

PLEASE HELP. Why is this so hard, and why is there not a default wan-lan setup available for this router for download?

tinka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 14, 2010 8:47 pm

i found the following

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/A_script_ ... ou_started

very usefull. If you go through the script you can also see what steps are needed.

ABeepMike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm

OK, I will check it out.

I have had success setting up a dhcp server on a single port, but not all the ports.

I have had success getting the public ip on eth1 working , so you can hit from the outside.

but making it ALL work together is just beyond me. I understand basic IP , but setting up a bridge, nat and routes on this router is just one layyer too much for this beginner ( I feel like one, but have setup many off-the-shelf LinksysVPN's ).

THanks, I am going to check it out. What the heck a few more hours , and I may have a regular router!!! LOL.

I need this for the torch and capture functions, hopefully after I get a basic setup I can start trying to setup tunnels to my Linksys RV016's to eventually replace them.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 pm

SSH into the router:
/interace bridge
add name="LAN"
/interface bridge port
add bridge=LAN interface=ether2 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether3 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether4 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether5 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether6 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether7 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether8 horizon=1
add bridge=LAN interface=ether9 horizon=1
/ip address
add interface=ether1 address=68.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
add interface=LAN address=192.168.1.1/24
/ip route
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=68.xxx.xxx.1
/ip pool
add name=dhcp_pool1 ranges=192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp_pool1 authoritative=after-2sec-delay bootp-support=static disabled=no interface="LAN" lease-time=3d name=dhcp1
/ip dhcp-server config
set store-leases-disk=5m
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.1.0/24 comment="" dns-server=4.2.2.2,4.2.2.1 gateway=192.168.1.1
/ip firewall nat
add chain=srcnat action=masquerade scr-address=192.168.1.0/24
I strongly recommend getting familiar with the CLI and with reading the wiki and getting to understand how routing/routers work.

ABeepMike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2010 11:41 pm

Tinka and Feklar, thank you for the help.

I thought I was going mad, having successfully setup 100+ tunnels between 15 sites on the internet with SOHO equipment, I STILL did not completely understand the routing until learning to setup this RB493.

Tink that script taught me a lot, Feklar, that code made sense of it to me, as I was trying much the same way, but not setting the bridge root address correctly.

As qui pro qou goes, I would like to share my .Backup file for myRB493 set this way for the next newbie , to pay it forward so to speak.

Could you guys direct me where I could load this file up to share? Is there a dump FTP for example files somehere?

Thanks again,,,,,,now on to VPN to my LINKSYS RV016's ......got reading to do.

Thumbs up!!!!

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 19, 2010 5:09 am

Glad to hear that it worked well for you.

Winbox is great for seeing a lot of information really quickly, but a lot of the power of the MikroTik lies in the CLI. It's much easier to make massive configuration changes and updates via the CLI than it is to edit one thing at a time from the Winbox.

Routing is relatively straight forward, but can be very complex. The 0.0.0.0/0 in dst-address is a catch all, that is supposed to represent all IP addresses, so the router knows that all traffic that doesn't match a more specific route, send to this IP, and that router will take it from there.

There is no real central storage that I am aware of provided by Mikrotik. Also the .backup files are meant to only be used on the board that they came from, and if you try and import them on a different board, it will usually come out with a semi-broken config. The best option for getting a config from one board to another is by using the export command, this writes out all of the commands it would take to get a MikroTik to the state that that one currently is in.

Here's the link to the Wiki page with multiple VPN examples:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Tunnels

One thing to keep in mind, a LinkSys hides almost everything it has set up and the options from the user and are not accessible at all, but since it assumes a lot of these things and has it set up for you, it is a lot easier to use, but not nearly as powerful. Where as the MikroTik gives the user all of the options and is extremely powerful because of this, but you are expected to set up all of the options that you want yourself and assumes very little, so has it can have a very steep learning curve. The main thing to remember is not to become overwhelmed with all of the options and focus in on the one thing you want to accomplish and work out from there.

newtoCS

I need you to help me achieve similar thing with RB450G!pls

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Now that your system is running would you be able to help me set up a home network using my RB450G?

I only want to connect to my Internet service provided by my comcast cable company. There is a modem connected to the cable and a router that I connect my computers to. I want to remove the router and place the RB450G instead. Then I want to connect two PCs to RB450G only to connect to the Internet.

I really don't know if and why I should have either static IP address or DHCP.
I don't know why your router IP address 192.164.1.1 is the same as mine. shouldn't they be unique?

I assume I must connect the RB450G ethe1 port to the modem, then connect my two pcs to ethe2 and ethe3. Then how I should continue with configuring the router in order to connect to the Internet? I will telnet or SSH and then how to start? what to write? will you please help me from start to the end of the commands that must be written in the SSH window?

Thanks very much!

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Follow the same steps as above, the only change you really need are the port names and then setting up a DHCP client on whatever port you want to be the WAN port. The DHCP client will have an option to use peer DNS and user peer gateway, make sure those are checked (they are by default in Winbox). and it should pick up a DHCP lease from the Comcast.

If you have a residential account through Comcast, you are going to use DHCP, I believe they only offer blocks of static routeable IP addresses through their business acounts.

As for the IP range, there are certain ranges that are setup and defined as un-routeable blocks of IP addresses. 192.168.0.0/16 just so happens to be one of them, and 99% of the time it does not matter if you have the same private range from one network to another. The only time it matters is if you are setting up a tunnel between to routers and expect to access the remote LAN.

After you get the most basic configuration going with access to the internet, you are going to want to set up security on router. I suggest you read over the Wiki for information and to teach yourself the basics of the MikroTik and networking in general.